Damper Tube Bolt leaking

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Yves.Astein

Damper Tube Bolt leaking

Post by Yves.Astein »

Hello together,

Quick question. The Bolt which fixes the damper tube to slider at the bottom of my dampers, seams to leak. My question is: Do I need to take the hole Damper apart to change the washer, or is it enough to drain the oil and just undue the bolt.

I have only once taken the dampers of my G3 apart and I don't have a full understanding of the Internal assembly. I am afraid that the slider inside the tube might start turning on me, making it impossible to retighten the bolt.

With 2 litle Kids I have to reduce the risk of unplanned diasters du to the limitation of free workshop time.

Thanks for any advice.

Yves
4E3994E7-1630-4EB2-9018-589DE4AF77C1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Damper Tube Bolt leaking

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yves.Astein wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:15 pm I am afraid that the slider inside the tube might start turning on me, making it impossible to retighten the bolt.
You can just remove the screw and replace the washer. You'll probably need a thin-walled socket.
If you screw a pointed toolbox cover fastener into the fork drain plug hole it will prevent the damper from turning.
Cover. Screw 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

I would try nipping up the bolt first using the method above to stop rotation. However if you do need to replace the washer I think it is a special size and worth getting in advance 010706.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Yves.Astein

Post by Yves.Astein »

Nice 👍 Thanks ! I will try as suggested.

I will turn down one of my sockets on the lathe.

Best regards Yves
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Using an impact torque wrench will usually overcome any tendency of internal parts turning.

- Knut