Burman 52 gearbox - clutch issue

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Re: Burman 52 gearbox - clutch issue

Post by 56G80S »

Of course, having now removed the kickstarter cover, I realise that my diagram is fine, the round parts are the lugs that move the gear selector quadrant.

On my own front, the three screws holding the inner case onto the shell were at least a turn, possibly two, undone. I don't have time to do the full job so have just cleaned the threads out with meths and refitted the screws as tight as I can and using Loctite. I can put up with seepage. I also found two of the screws in the kickstarter case loose. I had undone them one by one and fitted the fibre washers that I omitted when I did the original refurb. I can only think it was the failing strength in my carpal tunnel right hand.

Hope all goes well for you.

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Thanks again, I’ve had to put the job off until tomorrow now due to other commitments. I’ll have your notes to hand as I work through it.

All the best,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Morning all,

Problem appears to have been solved! Not wishing to state anything obvious, but it may help someone equally as novice as me, in the future.
I did not replace the kick start cover with all parts in situ as per manual. I only left the primary spring for control quadrant in place. Everything else installed within the box ( kick starter and spring remained within the cover). I made sure gearbox was in neutral. When installing the quadrant I made sure all the lugs on the cam assembly were within the quadrant’s operating area and was laying flat.
Wound the kick start spring up, and offered up the cover which snagged. Careful inspection revealed that primary spring was catching but, after a bit of jiggling, the cover slide home. Gasket in position with Blue Hylomar and correct length bolts in correct holes. Now, gears select easily with only slight clonk, at stationary, when engaging first gear. Test drive, no problems.
I found it impossible to put the cover back on with the gear shifter in position with kick starter pre wound and appropriate parts remaining therein.
So, seems like initial problem was alignment of cam assembly?
Thanks to everyone who gave invaluable advice in helping me solve this issue.

Steve
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Great! I stopped using the Blue Hylomar a long time ago now, just use the Welseal.

My problem also appears solved, 60 mile run out Sunday afternoon and the gearbox lost no oil so we're both happy.

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Great news,
Might see you up on the Moors one day to compare notes and a flask of tea!

Regards,

Steve
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Steve,

I sometimes ride through to Helmsley or out to Whitby / Scarborough for an afternoon trip but avoiding the hills at the moment until run in. After the Jampot and Autumn Rally at the end of August I'll be in for a carpal tunnel operation and that'll rule out motorcycling for 6 weeks at least.

Not to mention that I'll need to find a place to keep the Matchless once September's here. A friend at Sleights has offered but it's too far to "pop out for a ride".

Probably up for it in the New Year if I find a closer home for the Matchless.

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi ,

Sorry to hear about the operation needed but hope it all goes well. I’d offer a space in my garage but it’s full to overflowing!
I’m well pleased with the Matchless now I’ve ironed most of the problems out and hope to get out a bit more if the weather cheers up.
Do you ever get over to the cafe at Fimber?

Steve