Wet Sumping into the Primary chaincase.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
clive

Re: Wet Sumping into the Primary chaincase.

Post by clive »

If you decide on the in line tap please fit one with a linked ignition cut out most especially because you have 14 bikes. I know of many members who over the years have wrecked an engine by not turning the oil on.
I just rode my G11CS to slovenia and back no oil tap on that one. Pulled the other one out of the garage for a ride and could not start it. Of course then i remembered the oil tap and it started first kick. Te risk must be greater when chopping and changing between the bikes.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Thanks Clive it is a worry....I would ONLY use the tap when I knew it was not likely to be used for over a fortnight or so. It's ONLY when left longer does too much oil drain down and then into the chaincase. No need to keep switching the tap on and off daily. At the moment in time, I did turn the oil tap off, I would have something that would definitely remind me to switch the oil tap back on, maybe even 2x devices so I could not possibly overlook doing it. having said that the potential consequences of failing to do so are quite frightening....
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

I have an M18 that has a tap fitted by PO, and I hang the ignition switch on the tap handle.
Rob C
greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

i did fit an inline oil tap on my M31 because i was having simular problems to you[see my earlier thread].i coudnt fit one with a engine cut out because my bike has the mag with the stop button on the end so have taken other measures to accertain the tap is on before starting.one unforseen benefit to having the tap is it it seems to have reduced the engines oil leaks down to the odd drop.less initial pressure i suppose.cheers greasemonkey