6V new battery supplier recommendations?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
tankslapper

6V new battery supplier recommendations?

Post by tankslapper »

Hello,

My 1958 G3LS hasn't been running this year :( so today I drained the tank and put in some new fuel and I thought the battery was charging up yesterday but now I believe it's totally caput ( it's an old one for sure - B49 - 6 ) so I've had a search on here and AMC Classic Spares for recommendations of suitable battery types that I could use and suppliers thereof.....
( it's not the Mag version so as I understand things it relies on the battery having charge enough to start the beast )

It's using original 6volts and I believe I need a modern equivalent battery - 6N6-3B ? ( or Lucas WW09226L )

Will 6v 6ah be sufficient ?

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Anthony
ajscomboman

Re: 6V new battery supplier recommendations?

Post by ajscomboman »

It would if you were running LED lamps but if you're on the old style tungsten type then Ideally you'll need nearer 13Ah like the original specification.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Google Tayna batteries. They are very good for supplying a wide range of makes.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i am not sure if you use the same rubber case as my ariel NH uses , ie PU7D , but i use one of these tayna westco 6v 13ah batteries that fits inside the case tightly .
you need to fit spade terminals to the wiring to the battery and will need a couple of 90 degree connectors which may need trimming down a little to fit in but its an easy enough job .
its a 13ah agm type battery , get a modern auto charger to charge it up that can charge agm batts etc , the 6 amp chargers are only cheap £16 or so .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273836223809 ... R_KUyemTYg

ian
tankslapper

Post by tankslapper »

Many thanks all, this is very helpful.

I'll go with your suggestion Ian.

Previous owner of my G3LS had fabricated a battery compartment out of stiff cardboard and it appears to have lasted a long time.

I've registered the bike with it's original London number plate with the excellent assistance of the club and it's taxed and ready to go so if I can get it running again I'll hope to get over soon to a club meeting at Bramdean :D

now, where to find the USB socket on the bike for my sat nav :roll:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

tankslapper wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 am Many thanks all, this is very helpful.

I'll go with your suggestion Ian.

Previous owner of my G3LS had fabricated a battery compartment out of stiff cardboard and it appears to have lasted a long time.

I've registered the bike with it's original London number plate with the excellent assistance of the club and it's taxed and ready to go so if I can get it running again I'll hope to get over soon to a club meeting at Bramdean :D

now, where to find the USB socket on the bike for my sat nav :roll:
Looking forward to seeing you at one of the Hampshire section meetings.

The universal provider of e-bay can sort out your satnav/USB needs, its counter intuitive but on a 6v system you need to step up to 12v then down to the 5v USB Satnav requirements which the satnav docking station or the USB port do for you, the step up units cant take the fully bike load but work okay for a small ancillary circuit, they do need to be switched otherwise they can drain the battery. I run mine off of the tail light/speedo bulb position as I always have lights on when riding.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

If you were near Sheffield this one is free to a good home, the previous owner said it was new last year. I’ve changed to 12v.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

As I understood it, and my experience confirmed, there's no need to step up and down again.

The usual charge for sat nav / mobile 'phone is 5 volts. I used an auxiliary socket (cigarette lighter type) a plug in adaptor and USB cable. This worked fine for my Nokia N6 and previously my Sony Aqua.

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

56G80S wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:47 pm As I understood it, and my experience confirmed, there's no need to step up and down again.

The usual charge for sat nav / mobile 'phone is 5 volts. I used an auxiliary socket (cigarette lighter type) a plug in adaptor and USB cable. This worked fine for my Nokia N6 and previously my Sony Aqua.

Johnny B
It could be that the tomtom mount I use steps down and needs 12v to start with.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Ah, some sat nav manufacturers restrict the use of differing ancillary equipment. Hard luck there.

Johnny B