Burman gearbox won’t shift out of neutral

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
RodneyK

Burman gearbox won’t shift out of neutral

Post by RodneyK »

I’m still trying to get everything oiled, timed and turning before I gas up and try to start my rebuilt G9. Transmission shifted just fine by hand as I put it in 4th to turn the engine over with the back wheel. Back into neutral and I couldn’t get it to shift either up or down. Lever moves but no result. Where should I start looking for the problem and what should I expect to find?
Your advice is what keeps me going on this project. Many thanks.
RodneyK

Re: Burman gearbox won’t shift out of neutral

Post by RodneyK »

I was hoping for a little guidance here but perhaps my question was too vague. I guess I’ll just pull the cover off and poke around until something clicks into place. I hope it becomes obvious enough what’s wrong.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Rodney, its not something that I have encountered so not sure that I can help that much, do you know if you have a CP or GB/B52 gearbox? Have you rebuilt the gearbox or any part of it? does the gear lever feel like it has full movement or is it coming up a bit short? have you tried apply pressure to the lever and spinning the rear wheel?
Groily

Post by Groily »

Just a thought, but if you have replaced the sprung-loaded detent plunger that locates in the barrel cam if it's a B52, replacements can be tricky. The rounded nose needs to be rounded - many of the bits supplied are too pointy/spikey and gear selection is made hard / impossible. I had to revert to a serviceable used plunger after encountering exactly this hassle (stuck in neutral) with a new one, and discussions with Steve at AMC Classic Spares.
If it's an earlier CP 'box, then the above is irrelevant with the totally different arrangement - whose main problem from what I have seen is cracked alloy spring boxes . . .
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Looking at one your earlier posts I see you have a '55 so it'll have a Burman B52 'box........
RodneyK wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:36 pm Hi All,
Thanks to your help I have my 55 G9 assembled with a rebuilt engine, gearbox and mag.
You mention that the 'box has been rebuilt. Did you rebuild it?

If you haven't already seen them there are articles on rebuilding the B52 in the Archives. Open the following link and select 'Technical' then 'Transmission', then 'Burman'. Be careful as one of the articles purports to be for the 'B52' but is in fact for the earlier CP 'box which has external clutch operating parts.

Link:

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

I pulled the case cover off, jiggled a few things around and reinstalled it. Inexplicably, it now works. Must be a weak point there somewhere though so I will follow up on all your advice. Grolly, Spriddler, Duncan, I can’t thank you enough.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Can't beat a wiggle. Glad it's sorted
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein