Thrust washers

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
joolz6

Thrust washers

Post by joolz6 »

Hello

I am hoping that someone can help me ! I am rebuilding my 1955 AJS model 20 and dont know which way the trust bearings fit ( whoever built it before did not refit any ) Do the grooved sides fit against the centre web ? or sit facing the conrods ?

Many thanks

John
joolz6

Thrust wshers

Post by joolz6 »

Hello can anyone tell me which way the trust washers are supposed to fit ? They are grooved on one side . So does the groove side fit on the centre web side or on the conrod side ? Whoever built the engine years ago did not fit any !!! Its a 1955 AJS model 20.

Many thanks

two topics merged - moderator
g80csp11

Re: Thrust washers

Post by g80csp11 »

groove faces the crankshaft ie away from the center web. the grooved face is the running surface
Thrust orientation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joolz6

Post by joolz6 »

Can anyone tell me why there seem to be two sizes of the centre web on the model 20 ? Both the webs have the same part number ( 013776 ) stamped on them . the parts book number is 015670. One web has the groove for thrust washers ( which i bought a new pair from the club ) but when i fit them there is too much space for them to stay in place ie total width 22mm with the thrust washers fitted. I was told this was the right one for my 1955 model 20 The other centre web i have ( which came fitted to the bike when i bought it ) has no groove for the trust washers but when the centre shells are fitted ( both shells have a lip on either side of them to fit slightly of the sides of the web ) they are a perfect fit ! and there is no slack when fitted the the crankshaft I cant seem to buy these type of shells . Any help would be great !
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It sounds like you have an earlier type of crankshaft assembly, this changed during 1951 if you look at the parts list for that year you can see both listed, http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... _twins.pdf
joolz6

Post by joolz6 »

Thanks Duncan !!!!! This it what i thought !! Looks like i bought a lot of parts that i dont need !!!! and looking at the book you just sent this is why i also have these two washers fitted ( Part number 011542 ) Ok i will have to search now and try to find the bearing shell part number 011547 .

Thanks for getting in touch and hopefully i can get on with fixing this old bike back up !!