Help G3L dynamo issues

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
davephilp

Help G3L dynamo issues

Post by davephilp »

Hi all, I have a 1952 G3L.
Previous owner removed the dynamo chain and sprocket. I am now putting them back but I am missing a spacer or seal that goes between the end of the dynamo and the back of the tin primary case. Can anyone help with a part number?? Or photo of how it should look? As it is, there is a gap and all that will happen is the chain case will of course chuck it's oil out of this gap!!
Have scanned old manuals, guides etc but can't seem to find a diagram of what I need!!
Thanks in advance!
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Help G3L dynamo issues

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums!
davephilp wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:37 pm I am missing a spacer or seal that goes between the end of the dynamo and the back of the tin primary case.
There isn't a spacer or a seal.
And if you haven't got/found them you should use the correct sprocket locking nut, washer and circlip, plus the Woodruff key that fits in the dynamo shaft.
(To avoid almost certain serious damage you MUST align the dynamo laterally so that there is absolutely no chance of the dynamo chain and the primary chain coming into contact with each other).
2018-01-24 Dynamo nut, washer, circlip 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
davephilp

Post by davephilp »

Thank you! That's helpful, however, I have the washer and the circlip and the correct nut. My problem is the locking washer won't clear the space between the nut and the dynamo gear. Does anyone have a diagram on how this goes together? I can't find one in any of my manuals.
Many thanks, Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Is this from Christians Archives any help............?

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... dated).pdf

More on pages 136 to 139 in the workshop manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'