Running issues

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Andy G

Re: Running issues

Post by Andy G »

Provided it is indeed the right lever I can't see why it comes to a dead stop. Its a firm pull but it is progressive in feel. By correct direction I assume you do mean clockwise when viewed from cable end.
The amount of free play before the rocker starts to be moved should be very small.
Have you tried a little pressure with a spanner replacing cable? You should be able to observe thru rocker cover at the same time to see what's happening. Baffling one!
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Andy,
Baffling it is ! I have now taken the rocker box off and examined the inside for clues ( just for good measure the spring broke and the spring retaining bolt sheared off). The actuator comes into play quite late with loads of movement of the arm with a small amount of movement of the rocker. A meaningful degree of movement is obtained way beyond what the cable could achieve ( the actuator arm hits the box ). I further examined the spindle part and noted that the wear ‘might’ be sufficient to cause the issue. So, I’ll apply a spot of weld on it to bring it back and see if this works. I’ve ordered a new spring, bolt and gasket and keep fingers crossed I can remove the sheared off bolt!

Cheers,

Steve
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Good plan.
Then you just have work out the wandering tickover...
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Andy,

I do indeed! However, I don’t think this will prove so difficult! I hope! 😆

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Update.

I ‘built up’ the slightly worn area with weld and filed it into, what should be, the original dimensions. Whilst at it I renewed the spring ( original broke ) and oil seal rubber ring. The retaining screw unfortunately broke in the cover so that needed drilling out. Fortunately, I was able to re tap it to 2BA.
Observing the movement now shows that the valve is now lifting albeit with lots of cable travel for small lift. I understand that minimal lift is sufficient to stop the engine running.
Tomorrow, will see if does, actually, work and stops the engine when I ask it!

Steve