NEW EXHAUST PIPES...WHERE FROM?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Les Howard

NEW EXHAUST PIPES...WHERE FROM?

Post by Les Howard »

Hi All. I just wanted a recommended supplier of new exhaust pipes (twin) for my late 650. I see that Armours sell them but they have the wrong bracket but my original ones use a welded on stud boss which is correct. Feked, it seems, only do pipes for early twins or the G11. Does anyone know where good pipes can be bought please...many thanks for reading... :)
P1060936.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Re: NEW EXHAUST PIPES...WHERE FROM?

Post by Joker_Bones »

I have seen a good number of pipes and silencers listed at British Only Austria...
Have you looked there?
I don't know where they get them from and can't vouch for them... But along with Feked and amours they are the suppliers I have come across
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Mr Bones. many thanks for your suggestion. I took a look at the Austrian spares but it seems this range is the same as Feked or maybe the Armours. Ultimately as I don't seem to be able to get the correct pipes anywhere I will as originally planned, now resort to getting my old ones re-chromed at great expense...probably costing about £100 more than new ones! I have just finished a no cost spared resto job on the bike but will use the pipes as they are for the initial break in period this year. It's not worth buying the new ones and then also having the better original pipes re-chromed. I was just curious to see what is available from other owners situations but I guess they have to buy slightly the wrong pipes as there is nothing else. Cheers Again...Thanks :)
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, Les. It would mean being without the pipes for a while, but have you considered having stainless steel copies made. I used Alldens (Lincolnshire) to make a pair of down pipes for my Panther 120. The pattern replacements are notoriously variable when it comes to fit - primarily due to Panther machining there heads with no fixed datum for a starting point for the 40 different machining operations!
Den, who is nothing short of a genius, made up a superb pair for very little more than it would have cost for pattern steel/chromed ones.
140.jpg
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

You might also ask Armours if they'll copy your original pipes.
Re-chroming might be an issue as most chromers I've tried won't allow used exhausts in the baths as it contaminates their solutions with oil and carbon etc. If you do find one please pass on the info as I need a late silencer rechroming and can't find anyone to do it.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Could you get new ones adjusted to add stud mounting more cheaply?
Mebbe brazed on.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Reynard24 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:11 pm If you do find one please pass on the info as I need a late silencer rechroming and can't find anyone to do it.
S & T Electroplate do exhausts, they're near Bristol. Expensive but very good quality.
https://www.stchrome.co.uk/
Corners like a Lego man
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Agbrigg of Leeds will do silencers - but at a price. A mate had a pait of Suzuki T500 silencers replated - he's been a bit cagey about the total cost but it was upwards of 600 quid each :shock: I suppose it reflects the amount of cleaning involved to shift years of burnt 2-stroke oil.
https://www.agbriggchrome.co.uk/

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Fabulous Panther, Steve.
Back in the early 50's the local sweep had one of those Slopers and I loved the sound of it as he came up the long hill past my house with a huge box on the side full of sacks of soot and his rods and brushes sticking up. He was on his way to empty it in a heap at our village allotments. I think the allotment holders spread it around their veg plants to keep slugs away.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks, Sprids. It goes well but does need a more comfortable saddle. It's on the list - one day!

Steve