K8 rear carrier

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
john hood

K8 rear carrier

Post by john hood »

Hi All.
I bought a K8 a couple of years ago and am finally getting it sorted out.
The mudguards and carrier were made in India and are awful and the front hub is all wrong,all 9 inches diameter of it :o .
That may take a while to find.
I've made an exhaust pipe and front and rear stands, but i need to sort the carrier out.
Has anyone got dimensions for the carrier or at least the top, I can size the rest to suit what looks to be a near original rear mudguard that came with the bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greybeard

Re: K8 rear carrier

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, John. Sorry for the late reply. I am currently restoring an AJS G8 (1926) which has its original carrier and have the following measurements should they be of use to you.
The top frame, of 1/2 inch tube measures 16" long x 11" wide with two cross pieces. The front one is positioned 3 1/2" from the front end of the top frame and has a small lug for attaching to the top of the mudguard, the rear one is 11 3/4" back.
The front cross piece coincides with the position of the vertical support - 5/8" tube and the tool box space is 9" x 4 1/2". The vertical (bent) support is of 1/2" tube.
There is a vertical strap from the centre of the rear of the rack which serves both as a numberplate mounting and continues down the mudguard ending in the clip for the rear stand.

I'm at the stage where I'm still being held up by the cold weather with regard to painting the tank and chaincases etc and I think I'm running out of time to get a new stainless exhaust system made in time for this year. Still, it'll give me time to save up enough guineas to have one made next winter ;)
072.jpg
Hope this helps a bit.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john hood

Post by john hood »

Many Thanks Steve.
Gives me something to work around..
I think my carrier may end up a little narrower as the width of the frame where the verticals bolt on is only 8 1/4" inches.
Is the vertical rear stay to the mudguard welded/brazed on or bolted.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Does this halp, John? The fasteners are 1/4 BSCYC dome headed screws - individually made and polished of course :roll: The verticals do taper in towards the mounting points.
carrier.jpg
Steve
john hood

Post by john hood »

I hadn't expected the support tubes to taper in, I'll bear that in mind when i build the carrier.
I've had a bit of practice with carriers recently as I made 3 for 1930's sunbeams, 2 for me and the 3rd for a local member. finally got the bending allowances right.
I've trial fitted a rear mudguard that came with the bike, why my mate never fitted it I can't understand as it is labelled K8, it fits the frame beautifully. it also weighs 4 pounds less than the made in India one.
The front mudguard, again never fitted, has been patched and I just have to make a new mudflap..
Getting there slowly.
Now have to paint the correct tank for my 90 Sunbeam.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

If you fancied a Brookes B2 pillion seat for the AJS, I have one advertised
Steve

viewtopic.php?t=29721