Wiring diagram

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mikeydpippin

Wiring diagram

Post by mikeydpippin »

I have upgraded my 1959 Model 16 from 6-12v using an A reg one regulator really pleased with the results everything works as it should , thought this may be useful for anyone thinking of doing the same, as it could remove some of the wires needed , this is the wiring diagram used….
37C3AF91-FFE9-4A92-94D0-7FADF01B37AD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Les Howard

Re: Wiring diagram

Post by Les Howard »

Thanks...very nice. Yes, there's not many wires needed but just to say when I create a new wiring harness, I also run an earth wire all the way to the rear lamp and all the way into the headlamp shell including the main headlamp bulb connector directly. It will need a wire with connector soldered to the body. This saves a few milli-Ohms of resistance but even with a 12 Volt system, it manifests itself with the brightest and most reliable lights. Just to add; I do not like LED lighting on an old motorbike, but halogen upgrades are definitely worth it.
Groily

Post by Groily »

mikeydpippin wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:49 pm really pleased with the results everything works as it should
:D :D
Result!
Pleased it works well and you're happy - a good start to your year.
It's super-simple, and should be bullet-proof.
I've not had a moment's trouble in years with this set-up on several alternator machines (my own and several mates' bikes) and swear by it.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Les Howard wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:26 am Thanks...very nice. Yes, there's not many wires needed but just to say when I create a new wiring harness, I also run an earth wire all the way to the rear lamp and all the way into the headlamp shell including the main headlamp bulb connector directly. It will need a wire with connector soldered to the body. This saves a few milli-Ohms of resistance but even with a 12 Volt system, it manifests itself with the brightest and most reliable lights. Just to add; I do not like LED lighting on an old motorbike, but halogen upgrades are definitely worth it.
I did the same, adding an extra wire up to the common earth point in the headlight, and another in the rear. Both head to the same place as I put the earth for the battery. I also took the chance to upgrade the wires to 2 and 3mm2 to reduce the drop and save as many electrons as I can. I still run 6V as I am hardcore and enjoy riding by 1/2 candle power at night.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thats a lovely neat precise diagram even I could follow that and I'm a complete wiring dummy.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Les Howard wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:26 am Thanks...very nice. Yes, there's not many wires needed but just to say when I create a new wiring harness, I also run an earth wire all the way to the rear lamp and all the way into the headlamp shell including the main headlamp bulb connector directly. It will need a wire with connector soldered to the body. This saves a few milli-Ohms of resistance but even with a 12 Volt system, it manifests itself with the brightest and most reliable lights. Just to add; I do not like LED lighting on an old motorbike, but halogen upgrades are definitely worth it.
My dynamo/magneto twin was converted to 12v by a previous owner. I have all LED bulbs expect the headlamp, which is halogen. The savings made everywhere else means the dynamo can handle the halogen headlamp pretty easily. don't disregard the speedo bulb; at 5w that's almost 1/2 amp, and on a 6v system that's nearly an amp you can save by fitting an LED.

Malc
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

MalcW wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:37 am
My dynamo/magneto twin was converted to 12v by a previous owner. I have all LED bulbs expect the headlamp, which is halogen. The savings made everywhere else means the dynamo can handle the halogen headlamp pretty easily. don't disregard the speedo bulb; at 5w that's almost 1/2 amp, and on a 6v system that's nearly an amp you can save by fitting an LED.

Malc
The other way to think about it, every W you save is a W you can use elsewhere. 5W saved on a bulb is 5W you have to light another bulb.