Big end tolerance

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KerryAJS

Big end tolerance

Post by KerryAJS »

Just trying to find a tolerances for up and down movement of the Conrod on the Crankpin.. mine is just over one thou, measured as in the photo. In the Army reference book, it states 0.001" clearance between Crankpin and bearing as acceptable. I have to replace the timing side axle as it's damaged, so I guess replace the Crankpin and bearing while I'm at it.. what's the opinion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Howard

Re: Big end tolerance

Post by Les Howard »

With that small amount of wear it is perfectly acceptable to replace the rollers rather than the entire big end assembly...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As Les, I wouldn't be concerned to use it provided that the crankpin and conrod liner were O.K., although it must be tempting to replace it whilst stripped down and merely as a precaution if you were planning a 10,00 mile foreign tour, but at £300 for a new assembly.......nah, it'll probably see you out. ;)
As an aside, Russell Motors have stocked 1 thou oversize rollers in the past.
http://www.russellmotors.co.uk/

The big end on my '54 G3LS got a bit noisy but the crankpin wear was a tad over 1 thou. :shock:

Knackered crank pin..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

a bit noisy , was that with out your hearing aid turned on
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Wow that is some wear Spriddler. I would be interested to know if the most worn side was at the top when the crank was at TDC or was it at the bottom?...I reckon slogging it hard at low revs would have caused the former and high revving would have caused the latter for the distinct wear you are showing....PS: If only we had the "React to Post" function switched on...I would have given a big laughing smiley to GS 80csp's post Maybe several others would have done...but we will never know...Oh well :(
Last edited by Les Howard on Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

On the topic of big end failures... please see two examples.
No 1 (top) seized solid when the big end cage melted due to an oil circulation problem and would you believe No 2 (bottom) was running fine but just sounded a bit tappety!
IMG_20221229_122546.jpg
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

If you have 1 thou clearance/play, would 1 thou oversize rollers fit?
KerryAJS

Post by KerryAJS »

Thanks Gentlemen, some interesting pictures there!! Yes, when I strip it, I'll have a look at the condition. @ Joke-Bones, I guess you'd have to purchase to see if the oversize rollers would fit?
As an aside, as I'm changing the timing side axle, should I get a new pinion/gear, old one looks ok, with a little bit of wear as per the cam gears, where do you stop!!
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I don't how much oversize rollers for the crank pin cost, the 1 thou oversize rollers for the clutch are many times the cost of standard size.
I assume looking at your photo you have measured the clearance with the existing rollers in place and pulled/pushed from one extreme to the other. If oversize rollers were 1 thou bigger in diameter than what you have you would need at least 2 thou clearance to accommodate oversize rollers all around the pin, is that right?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

KerryAJS wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:45 pm ......should I get a new pinion/gear, old one looks ok, with a little bit of wear........
No. It'll be fine.
I don't know of anyone who has needed to fit a new one on account of just a bit of wear.

As 'ITMA', one of the wise old sages on the Forums and an ex AMC factory employee and latterly an AMC dealer in South London used to say:

'A half-worn original part will last longer than a new pattern part'.

Bearing in mind your commendable attention to detail are you sure you need to replace your t/s axle? :?

Les Howard wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:36 pm Wow that is some wear Spriddler. I would be interested to know if the most worn side was at the top when the crank was at TDC or was it at the bottom?...
I don't remember now, Les, and I doubt that I noticed at the time.
g80csp11 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:09 pm a bit noisy , was that with out your hearing aid turned on
It wasn't working, Thrifty.
You've forgotten that I had lent the battery to you for your digital caliper as you said you were too hard up to buy a new one.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'