Big end tolerance

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Les Howard

Re: Big end tolerance

Post by Les Howard »

You haven't exposed the crank-pin yet have you? This is likely to be worn more than the outer con-rod race, simply because the diameter is smaller so the running circumference is shorter too and therefore has less metal available for wearing. This would manifest itself as deeper wear marks... You must at this stage inspect the big end surface, it will be the most important aspect as regards what you will need to do. Once the cage and rollers are removed it will be very difficult to replace them all back in the same position, so you must do some very accurate measuring and see if there is space for oversize rollers or just buy new standard size ones....If you just want to throw money at it, the simplest and dearest way is to send the assembly off for a brand new big end obviously. I am curious to know if you are attempting to put it back together yourself?
KerryAJS

Re: Big end tolerance

Post by KerryAJS »

Thanks Spriddler, Joker_Bones, Ralph and Les for your help.

Yes, I have stripped to the Crankpin, it looks and feels OK, a bit of staining. A hand full of roller all measure shy, on the negative, of 6.34mm. So yes, might stick in a set of new roller, the cage seems very good... Steve's (AMC Spares) list is getting longer!

Working on the bike is a retirement hobby and sometimes a distraction, so I'm stripping and rebuilding it once (hopefully), not in a "replace everything" way, but in a common sense way! ... and not wishing I had replaced a component when it's finished. Hopefully you understand my drift :-)
Speaking of drifts, I have a few more jobs that I will need your advise on, one big one is repairing the plunger pump, but that'll be another thread later on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.