Pushrod Tube Seals - I'm confused

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

I'm just putting the cylinder head back on the AJS16. When stripped down, there was a mish mash of rubber seals at the top of the pushrods. So, I bought a new gasket set, and assume the long sleeve gaskets go at the top of the pushrod, and the O ring goes on the crankcase. This then leaves to metal washers, one dished and one plain. Does the plain one go at the bottom of the pushrod tunnel on top of the O ring? Does the Dished one go underneath the long sleeve gasket. If so, which way up is the concave bit? Does it go face down and follow the contours of the pushrod tunnel pressing, or does it face upwards to force the long gasket against the pushrod tube when tightened?? Or do both the metal washers go at the top of the tube either side of the long gasket?? Doh! I need a drink!!! hope the above makes sense.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

With the head upside down, place the flat washer at the bottom of the housing, then the long rubber seal, place the concave side of the dished washer over the pushrod tube such that the concave side sits on the radius at the top of the tube. Push the tube into the rubber gland. Sit the two rings over the tappets on crankcase, and replace head, ensuring the the rubber rings sit nicely in the flared ends of the pushrod tubes.

TommoT

Post by TommoT »

While I totally agree with Biscuit's sequence of assembly this will only work on original tubes of the correct length. Any non original parts, in particular varying lengths, may screw up the whole set-up. I have just assembled an engine wiht such parts, where some creativity and extra washers were needed!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Surely Tom, unless we are told otherwise, we have to assume that we are speaking standard machines.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Alan there are many butchers about
Chemists do it with test tubes
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

Thanks for the help with this one Biscuit.
The bikes nearly 50 years old, so it may or may not have standard pushrod tubes Tommo (they look standard but who knows?), so I'll take on board your warning, and play it by sight.
Thanks again chaps, hopefully the last piece of the jigsaw and I'll be ready runout to get the engine run in, in time for spring.. Hurrah!!

I even treated it to 12 volts and indicators whilst its been off the road!!!
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

Ohhh deep joy, deep joy.
After Ken sent me an image to confirm the sealing positions, the engine was finally completed after almost 10 months off the road. And a complete bottom end rebuild by Malcom Saggers

It runs fantastic, and not a drop of oil is leaking from it.. brilliant job Malcolm.

So now the laborious running in process. 100 miles so far. It seems to take forever when you anywhere at 30mph. I'd forgotten what a lovely bike it is to ride.
itma

Post by itma »

Good feeling innit?
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

About to replace the tubes and seals with the clubs 6 5/16ths replacements (thats the length of my corroded ones) I am confused with my exploded drawing and Alans explaination.Alan has been right everytime. so can someone (are you listening Alan) explain the correct sequence once and for all. (yes i have searched and there is some brilliant tips) From the cylinder head metal washer (011087) Rubber gasket (010672) metal washer (016944) Pushrod tube (02286) and finally rubber gland (000691) I have removed every ounce of rubber seals from the cylinder head thoroughly cleaned and ready to order.I have already got the gasket set from the club and see there are some of the seals in the kit.Yes i am one of the "clueless" but want to get this right first time.I am watching and learning.
Mike
itma

Post by itma »

what you have sounds about right.
do not use any kind of sealing compound and tighten the head bolts, slowly, diagonally and evenly.
Oh and do make sure you don't forget the head gasket.......