G12 matchless snatching clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Vincent 42

G12 matchless snatching clutch

Post by Vincent 42 »

just been out for a lovely ride on my G12 but have found that i have lost nearly all movement on clutch its either on or off and snatching. have read the data and am aware of setting up procedure but before i go removing primary chain cover and inspecting plates ect has anyone any hints that i might look out for because at the moment it is spoiling my ride. ROD
g80csp11

Re: G12 matchless snatching clutch

Post by g80csp11 »

check oil level through inspection cap , if its wet sumped then maybe oil contamination
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Vincent 42 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:05 pm ...... i have lost nearly all movement on clutch its either on or off and snatching.
It can happen that the basket retaining nut on the mainshaft comes loose. The whole basket then moves outward on the shaft when the clutch is operated and the clutch only frees when the last bit of h/bar lever movement is fully pulled in. It's no great problem to re-tighten the basket nut once the clutch plates have been removed. The nut should have a tab locking washer but in addition a bit of Loctite can help to prevent it happening again.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

G12 should have an AMC box. The clutch for these has rubber inserts in the clutch centre to act as shock absorbers. Over time these rubbers can deteriorate and be driven slowly out as a mush. This can impair the plate movement. If it's happening you will see a black sludge at the bottom of the chaincase.
As Spriddler says check the clutch centre nut to see if it is loose, although on the AMC clutch there is no tab washer it's a spring locking washer and it is a good idea to use locktight as well. The centre/shaft can wear it it's been loose for a while.
Check the slots in the clutch basket to see if they are ridged, this can stop the plates separating properly so causing drag.

Good luck
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A bit like this, though my clutch didnt snatch, it just 'pulsed' on take up.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24411

Steve