"Cheap" girder forks

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Group Leader

"Cheap" girder forks

Post by Group Leader »

Anyone contemplating a pre-war renovation or pre-war style project and thinking of getting some "cheap" girder forks off of Ebay?

You might care to take a look at this, it's a long video but if you've not got the time this should start at the chap's conclusions which I'll summarize; DON'T!

Truly shocking

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
cbranni

Re: "Cheap" girder forks

Post by cbranni »

Yes Alan I agree with you, I have bought a few items from India but these were toolbox or headlamp and the like but as for SC parts stay well clear of them, the build quality cannot be trusted.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Cracking video. Thought it was dead funny in some respects as it reminded me of some clients bloody stupid requests.

One guy wanted to fit tyres intended for a fork lift truck onto a light aircraft. Apparently they were the same size. :rofl:

There is a serious liability issue here, if any components that are not produced original manufacturers standard and documented with proven quality control in place. Then even if the customer insists on the parts being used, the liability for any problems that occur will be the responsibility and liablity of the trader / fitter for using sub standard parts.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Although the supplier is located in India I think this is one for Watchdog or Rogue Traders. Matt Allwright lives near me and, of course is a keen biker. Would be very interesting to get them independently tested. Darned dangerous if they are dodgy. I see eBay is full of ‘em.

Iron Head
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Triumph-Legend wrote:
There is a serious liability issue here, if any components that are not produced original manufacturers standard and documented with proven quality control in place. Then even if the customer insists on the parts being used, the liability for any problems that occur will be the responsibility and liability of the trader / fitter for using sub standard parts.
I don't know whether the liability would rest with the trader/fitter rather than the manufacturer.
In the video the guy mentions that the manufacturer in India who had supplied them direct to him wanted them returned not to India but to a U.K. 'agent'.
I had a company in India infringing one of my patents (for marine safety equipment) with a direct copy. My patent attorney said it was pointless (and hideously expensive) to pursue them as even if they could be traced (likely as not to some back street lockup), they would disappear without trace (and start again) as soon as they got wind of legal proceedings.

If anyone is interested my co-director and I developed and manufactured the Johnbuoy product range. We sold the company in order to do other things..after we got bored with it.

https://www.oceansafety.com/product-ran ... very-range
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The chap in the vid was really incensed and no wonder. The discussion on liability is interesting but as Sprid suggested, probably difficult to sort out.

From my experience, if I supply parts and get someone to fit them them, and then there's a failure intrinsic to those parts that's my lookout.

On the other hand, were I to fit substandard parts, knowingly or otherwise, and then sell on an unroadworthy vehicle then the liability is mine unless I specifically sell it as scrap, or otherwise make it clear that the vehicle is unroadworthy and requires inspection and repair?

I'm sure a legal professional will pipe up.

Johnny B
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

SPRIDDLER wrote: I had a company in India infringing one of my patents (for marine safety equipment) with a direct copy. My patent attorney said it was pointless (and hideously expensive) to pursue them as even if they could be traced (likely as not to some back street lockup), they would disappear without trace (and start again) as soon as they got wind of legal proceedings.
Funny things Patents as they only work in an environment where everyone plays by the rules - they were great years ago but now it's a truly global economy and as, Spriddler indicated, some of the largest parts of that economy don't play by the same rules and provide a significant amount of anonymity for individuals so basically we're up the creek without the necessary propulsion system. Many years ago the company I worked for patented an invention of mine, I was told the primary reason was not ultimately the protection of the device but more to slow up the opposition because, again as Spridds stated the costs involved would be hideous so it's a careful balance for the cost/benefit analysis. Having said that, sometimes it is worth pursuing such cases if you've got a water-tight case and an opponent that you can nail down.

Back to the forks ....

I found that video on the RealClassics Facebook group where a discussion was understandably ongoing with some baying for the name of the perpetrator so that they could be avoided and shamed whilst others defended the "supplier" and their reputation, suggesting in the first instance that the query be taken up with them in private for resolution so that we didn't potentially lose another valuable supplier of bits for our old bikes.

Personally I feel that, in this and similar cases, losing such suppliers would be a positive benefit to the world of motorcycling and the potential victims who came to grief because of such shoddy items. It's one thing having to take a skim off the bearing journal for your replacement Lucas dynamo armature to make the bearing fit but something quite different to riding a motorcycle equipped with forks made from cheese!
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SPRIDDLER wrote:If anyone is interested my co-director and I developed and manufactured the Johnbuoy product range.
Would that have been around the same time as the Waltons TV series?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:If anyone is interested my co-director and I developed and manufactured the Johnbuoy product range.
Would that have been around the same time as the Waltons TV series?
Goodnight Duncan! :rofl: :rofl:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That video has been widely discussed for a while on the Ariel Owners Club forum I think, (not bothered to watch it personally though).

My concern would not rest so much with restorers buying from a know 'poor source' but more with the poor sod that subsequently buys the bike in 'good faith'.

Regards Mick