G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
crawsue

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by crawsue »

The final (!) part of my G5 jigsaw ,now that the clutch is sorted ,is to eliminate the "bang" which occurs on the 1st. application of the rear brake.Today I loosened the sprocket side spindle nut and "centralised" the brake,this didn't make much of a difference,so removed the wheel.The brake linings seem quite fresh and have not fully bedded-in,but have a nice gradual champfer.The central locking nut was not tight in the accepted sense.The locating slot shows significant wear ,which might be the problem ,combined with the lack of tightness in the locking nut--I will get the slot "tightened" with some weld and then file out to size.Anything else I can look at while the wheel is out? Gratefull or any suggestions.One or two nice looking AMC 'bikes on EBAY at the minute.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
lawrence

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by lawrence »

Sounds to me as if you are on the right track
Don Madden

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by Don Madden »

If there is any play in the brake anchor the brake will "bang" each time you apply the brake in the opposite direction. So, if you back the bike out of a parking spot & apply the brake, the first time you use it in the forward direction, the anchor will slam against the stop. Cheers, Don.
crawsue

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by crawsue »

crawsue

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by crawsue »

OOOPS! Got it all re-assembled as suggested this afternoon,all seems to be working fine.
michael_s

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by michael_s »

After taking out the rear wheel I noticed that the anchor (the slotted cylinder) on my bike is revolvable (pivoted) in the brake plate - is this correct?
A previous owner "secured"the anchor with a kind of selfmade clamp (like a hose clamp) around the anchor...
It´s a barrel, not a watch!
BigAl350

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by BigAl350 »

Sounds like a first-class "bodge" or poor repair. In all of my Lightweights, apart from one, the slot in the anchor as you call it has worn and there can be the odd "bang" when applying the brake as there is a bit of a gap. I suppose this gap could be repaired by letting in more metal but it doesn't seem to be a big problem as such...

Al

quote:
After taking out the rear wheel I noticed that the anchor (the slotted cylinder) on my bike is revolvable (pivoted) in the brake plate - is this correct?
A previous owner "secured"the anchor with a kind of selfmade clamp (like a hose clamp) around the anchor...

Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
michael_s

G5 Rear brake "snatch"

Post by michael_s »

Thank you, Al.
Is the locating slot-thingie meant to be revolvable?
The pivot in the back plate looks rather fragile and I cannot see much sense in it...
It´s a barrel, not a watch!