My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
markwhitelock

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by markwhitelock »

The new Lucas loom that I bought has an additional earth wire put in which is handy. It wasn't on the wiring diagram though :lol:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I tend to use one of the mounting points for the speedo as an earth post to collect the lines from the main/dip, shell and if necessary, horn push - then I have a direct line from there back to the battery.

Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Today I attempted to set the timing on the beast for the first time! :shock:

After reading the manual (see, I do as I'm told, Rob!) and them reading it again, then fretting about it, I finally plucked up the courage.

I set TDC by use of a piece of bamboo down the plug hole and rotated engine until it reached its peak, setting the valve clearances with enough looseness to rotate the rods. Removed the bamboo and marked on 1/2” above the line and rotated the engine backwards until that was level with plug hole, this should be the timing point. I then attached the SR1 and got that in position with the ATD loosely on the taper with the springs wedged open.

Then using the magnetoman timing device lent by ajsm18, I rotated the mag with a screwdriver until the light went off then just turned on again. At that point I tightened the ATD onto the mag to set it all.

Does that sound right?! :?

I was too afraid to attempt a start yet!!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I don't like the idea of bamboo. Better to use a bent bit of welding rod or thick wire. There's always a chance it'll break off or drop inside. Also I always tighten the mag sprocket nut, then do the timing on the camshaft nut. When in the correct place, a light tap on the sprocket with a socket and small hammer. Then tighten the nut.
Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote:I don't like the idea of bamboo. Better to use a bent bit of welding rod or thick wire. There's always a chance it'll break off or drop inside. Also I always tighten the mag sprocket nut, then do the timing on the camshaft nut. When in the correct place, a light tap on the sprocket with a socket and small hammer. Then tighten the nut.
Dave.
Ooops, that's the one bit I didn't mention to Mark. Always easier to loosen the cam sprocket and leave the ATD tight when timing. Other than that the manual is pretty well spot on so well done for reading it Mark. :beer:
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

markwhitelock wrote:Removed the bamboo and marked on 1/2” above the line and rotated the engine backwards until that was level with plug hole, this should be the timing point.
To remove any 'backlash', you should rotate the engine backwards until your line is BELOW the plug hole and then rotate it forward until it lines up with the plug hole.

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Fixing the ATD and doing it on the bottom sprocket does sound easier! Is it a left hand thread or did I read that wrong somewhere?

I'm sure I will have to redo it at some point soon so will take on your tips!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Left hand thread on the crankshaft timing pinion nut not the camshaft nut which is normal thread.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

markwhitelock wrote: I set TDC by use of a piece of bamboo down the plug hole and ...
Damn! Sorry, I should have brought my TDC tool over. It screws into the plug hole with a graduated rod down the centre. As long as you have the rod the correct way up (don't ask who didn't :) ) it works well. If you need to set the timing again, I can pop it over.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajsm18 wrote:I should have brought my TDC tool over. It screws into the plug hole with a graduated rod down the centre.
Hi

How do you determine distance BTDC, trigonometry?

Regards Mick