Gearbox rebuild

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Member
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: WEST SUSSEX UK

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Postby g80csp11 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 pm

No last year was a replacement engine and bushes in the gearbox , but because I was running late I did not replace the main bearing
short cut I know , and now im paying for it
but at least it gives me something to do while im waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

and before you say I never use the oven for bearings and cooking at the same time ( well almost never )

Member
User avatar
Posts: 2466
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: HAMPSHIRE UK

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Postby ajscomboman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 pm

g80csp11 wrote:No last year was a replacement engine and bushes in the gearbox , but because I was running late I did not replace the main bearing
short cut I know , and now im paying for it
but at least it gives me something to do while im waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

and before you say I never use the oven for bearings and cooking at the same time ( well almost never )


I don't believe you, I know how careful you are! :rofl: :rofl:

Member
Posts: 6007
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: WEST SUSSEX UK

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Postby SPRIDDLER » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:56 pm

g80csp11 wrote: i'm waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

and before you say I never use the oven for bearings and cooking at the same time ( well almost never )


Hope you washed your hands after touching chicken and before putting the gearbox case in with the pie .......salmonella poisoning can be very nasty for alloy castings .
I poke badgers with spoons.

Member
User avatar
Posts: 671
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 6:32 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Postby spookefoote1956 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 pm

spookefoote1956 wrote:Some of the tools in the photos are a mystery to me although I am most familiar with the wooden stick with the big metal bit on the end. From a health and safety point of view keep your thumb away from the metal bit and always wear a condom.


Sorry, I meant always wear oven gloves. I always get them mixed up for some reason.
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!

Member
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: WEST SUSSEX UK

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Postby g80csp11 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:39 am

I think the issue that I have on my 46 G80L is mainshaft end play , does not sound unusual as the manual suggests the following

Gearbox Mainshaft End-Play
Assuming the kick-starter pinion nut is tight, check the small bearing of the
mainshaft in the kick-starter case. Shim washers placed between the bearing and
the housing may provide a remedy if wear is not too advanced


The smaller bearing was replaced last year as well as the bushes in the output

The symptom is that under any heavy load I get severe vibration through the transmission
its not the clutch basket rollers as play is in the shaft its self
Ive replaced the layshaft bushes

The plan today is to strip out the gearbox in situ , feel the condition of main bearing and deal with the shimming if I cant find anything else with unacceptable wear .

Member
User avatar
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Postby Expat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:28 pm

spookefoote1956 wrote:
spookefoote1956 wrote:Some of the tools in the photos are a mystery to me although I am most familiar with the wooden stick with the big metal bit on the end. From a health and safety point of view keep your thumb away from the metal bit and always wear a condom.


Sorry, I meant always wear oven gloves. I always get them mixed up for some reason.



:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)

Member
User avatar
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Postby Expat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:29 pm

SPRIDDLER wrote:
g80csp11 wrote: i'm waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

and before you say I never use the oven for bearings and cooking at the same time ( well almost never )


Hope you washed your hands after touching chicken and before putting the gearbox case in with the pie .......salmonella poisoning can be very nasty for alloy castings .


:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)

Previous

Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests