1958 Matchless G3

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight

Re: 1958 Matchless G3

Postby George Kaplan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Second question (actually its sort of two questions)

The front bracket has a hole through it. However it is roughly 3/8" at one end and roughly 1/2" at the other. Is this correct? I can't imagine why it needs to be of two different bores?

If it is correct then my question is what is the stud like that goes here to attach the engine plates?

If not the I assume it should be 3/8" all the way through?

Here are a couple of pictures.

Front Bracket 2.jpg

Front Bracket 3.jpg

John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Duncan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

This file should give you all you ever wanted to know about engine mounting studs and spacers for post war singles: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/General_technical_topics/Singles_engine_mounts_studs_spacers_1946-1964.pdf

Postby George Kaplan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi Duncan, thanks for that that is a very helpful file, I thought I had saved all of the relevant files from the archive but I must have missed that one.

It confirms what I thought, the hole should be the same all the way through for a 3/8" stud. I will undo the previous modification when I repair the other issues.

That just leave the other question regarding symmetry of the brackets around the centreline of the frame. My gut says that they probably are symmetrical but it would be nice if someone could confirm.

John

Previous

Return to G3 / Model 16