1958 Matchless G3

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight

Re: 1958 Matchless G3

Postby thornebt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi John

I've got a couple of engine plates but I don't know if they are correct for your bike. Do they look as though they may be correct?

Cheers. Bruce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby George Kaplan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi Bruce, thanks very much for your offer unfortunately those plates are the same as I already have (except mine have a bit welded onto them)

The plates that I need, according to the parts list, are these:

Plates.jpg

For anyone else reading this I have remembered that I also need a head steady and, I think, a rocker box stay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Duncan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:27 pm

The welded on extensions on the engine plates could have been added to set the footrests further back for trials riding

Postby George Kaplan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:31 pm

Duncan wrote:The welded on extensions on the engine plates could have been added to set the footrests further back for trials riding

I had wondered about that. The extra bits have reinforced square holes in them rather than round ones. Also they are the plates that were attached the the G3C bottom end.

John

Postby ajscomboman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Duncan wrote:The welded on extensions on the engine plates could have been added to set the footrests further back for trials riding

I had wondered about that. The extra bits have reinforced square holes in them rather than round ones. Also they are the plates that were attached the the G3C bottom end.

John

That would be correct for a comp rigid trials where the rests can be moved rearwards to the other square holes. For a sprung comp the plates would be the same shape but with round holes as opposed to square holes for the foot rests. The only major difference is that the later plates won't have a dynamo hole in them as the motor had an alternator.

Postby Mick D » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:37 am

Hi

Give Steve Surby at AMC Classic Spares a call, he's probably the best one stop shop for used parts.

Regards Mick

Postby George Kaplan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:56 pm

ajscomboman wrote:
That would be correct for a comp rigid trials where the rests can be moved rearwards to the other square holes. For a sprung comp the plates would be the same shape but with round holes as opposed to square holes for the foot rests. The only major difference is that the later plates won't have a dynamo hole in them as the motor had an alternator.

Thanks for the info regarding the competition models.

The dynamo hole is the obvious difference but the mounting at the top rear of the rear plates is different. The frame seems to be different in this area on later models and my plates certainly dont fit and I have spent some time comparing parts lists and pictures of various model years.

Mick D wrote:Hi

Give Steve Surby at AMC Classic Spares a call, he's probably the best one stop shop for used parts.

Regards Mick

Thanks I will contact him today and see what he has.

John.

Postby George Kaplan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:07 pm

I put a wanted ad up in the clasified section a week or two ago and a most helpful chap, Roy Pond, contacted me and has provided one of my missing parts so I thought I should say thanks to Roy on here not only for the part he provided but his invaluable help in identifying an incorrect part that I have. Roy says he got the info from "Helpliner" so a big thanks to them too.

Postby ajscomboman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:13 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:

Thanks for the info regarding the competition models.

The dynamo hole is the obvious difference but the mounting at the top rear of the rear plates is different. The frame seems to be different in this area on later models and my plates certainly dont fit and I have spent some time comparing parts lists and pictures of various model years.

Yes that's true there is a difference, silly me for not mentioning it. The rear fixings on the plates changed from 56 when the vertical downtube frame was introduced. Sorry about that.

Postby George Kaplan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi folks,

I have an enquiry with AMC Classic Spares regarding the used parts, hopefully they will come back with the bits I need.

I managed to get a pair of engine plates of the correct type so once they arrive I will start fixing the frame where some idiot with a hacksaw has "modified" it.

I have a couple of questions in readiness for the engine plates arrival.

First I need to know if the frame brackets stick out from either side of the centre line of the frame an equal amount or are they asymmetric?

To illustrate my question, I need to know if A=B and if C=D in he next two pictures.

Front Bracket 1.jpg

Rear Bracket.jpg

Second question on the next post due to 3 picture limit.

PreviousNext

Return to G3 / Model 16