Project "Kate"

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.

Project "Kate"

Postby spookefoote1956 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:30 pm

:D
js125e.jpg
Hello everyone. Today I am most giddy. As you are probably aware I have made comment in the past regarding modern AJS motorcycles. I have nothing against the vehicles as my son has/had one. We purchased it because it is basically a Yam copy, probably made in the same factory, had 500 miles on the clock and cost 600 quid. We did not purchase it based on the AJS logo on the tank!

This got me to thinking what would pursuade me to by a modern one and the answer was if it looked like a modern interpretation of a classic.

So today I am delighted to unveil my latest creation, Project "Kate".

Kate is going to be a modern interpretation of the classic K8 type of AJS. It will have a blend of modern reliability and utilities with the appearance of a true classic. An homage if you like. Now that is something I would buy! Kate will be a flat tanker (which I intend to manufacture) and will include such details as the rear rack and wicker basket, which I intend to chuck the battery and electrical jiggery-pokery in.

The donor bike is to be what was my son's bike (swapped for a car) js125e. See pic. One hundred and twenty five cc of muscle bound ferocity. This presents some interesting problems with the frame but I have an angle grinder, mig welder and very little sense of guilt.

Please feel free to comment about the project. It's happening, so please watch this space for updates!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!

Re: Project "Kate"

Postby SPRIDDLER » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 am

Sterling (640x427).jpg

Sterling old timer (640x511).jpg

Sterling details (423x382).jpg

'Ow much???? :shock:

I've had a go on one (just around the car park) at the U.K. distributor, Haywards of Cambridge.

http://theblackdouglas.com/the-process/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I poke badgers with spoons.

Postby spookefoote1956 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:03 am

Seen those Sterlings already Spridds, that's what got me going. If "how much" is referring to the Sterling then that's why I'm making my own. Anyways I'm not exactly conformist when it comes to building bikes! I love a challenge, can't wait to let the angle grinder loose!
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण

Postby spookefoote1956 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Oh, by the way. Does anyone know where I can get some mudguards similar to the Sterling? I've been looking at some Bantam ones on fleabay (other auction sites are available) but they're not quite period enough.

Cheers, Chris
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण

Postby bitza » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Have a look at autocycle engineering Dudley west mids, they carry loads of n o s for BSA etc, also manufacture various designs and types of mudguards. Quite a selection on their web site.

Postby spookefoote1956 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Nice one, I'll get onto it.
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण

Return to Modern AJS