Pilot jet

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin

Re: Pilot jet

Postby ChrisTheChippy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi all
Thank you Duncan and clive for your recent posts . The fuel tank is currently off the bike as it needs cleaning out and I'm running the bike via a dummy fuel tank . The small air hole between the slide and air intake is definitely clear as I had a similar issue with my Enfield when I first got it and that was the problem so I made doubly sure of clearing that . One thing I can't remember doing is to blow through the small hole where the air jet screws in ( the one at the bottom under the cover nut ) . I'm assuming this jet should be screwed all the way in ? One thing I have read is that they get tightened too much and it can damage the seat. Don't think that's the case here though.
I have a new rubber for the carb flange so I will fit that and check for distortion at the same time .
Regards the rebuild issue don't think that applies here as after rebuild bike was ridden round London for a while before being stored when the po moved . I was very careful with reassembly of the carb and the top is definitely not cross threaded also still has choke fitted so no hole there.
I will be taking carb off again and I will go over what I've already done to make 100% sure it's correct before looking anywhere else for the problem .
Might replace the slightly bent needle jet just as a matter of course even though it's not causing a problem atm
So it's out with the carb cleaner and air line again .
Finding time is my biggest challenge at the moment and I hate rushing things so I will update if I have any news .
Thanks for all help and advice certainly given me lots more I can check.
Regards Chris

Postby dave16mct » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm

If you haven't cleaned the pilot jet hole then that will be the problem. If the needle is only bent at the top at the notches, I would straighten it carefully with a hammer on something smooth and flat. It should have a letter 'D' at the top and 106mm long.
Dave.

Postby ChrisTheChippy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Thank you Dave
Regards Chris

Previous

Return to G12 / AJS Model 31