1962 Ignition timing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight

Re: 1962 Ignition timing

Postby Peter Morris » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks Rob, I will look into that. There was some confusion with the valve timing, what with it being a roadster bottom end an a comp top end...... so maybe. The timing marks (dots) on the cams were nothing like the manuals said they should be... not sure what cams I actually have.

Mine was a 'revvy little bugger' too before the rebuild, and now seems not to be.

Pete,
Haha, you know full well I cannot afford that to happen. :|

Postby Pharisee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 pm

On the subject of ignition timing, does anyone know if there is an electronic system that will fit the later heavyweights in place of the contact breaker points. I have Pazon systems fitted to my two Triumphs and I know they do 6v one for 'British singles' but only specify Triumph and BSA. I was wondering if I could make one fit the G3.

Postby Peter Morris » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Not sure about the singles John, nor the Pazon ignition, but my G15 is fitted with a Boyer ignition that their website states is for a Triumph/BSA (no mention at all of AMC bikes) that works fine.

Postby Mick D » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 am

Hi John

Check out the Lucas catalogue - if the CB assembly is the same the aftermarket system should be compatible.

Regards Mick

Postby SPRIDDLER » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am

Pharisee wrote:On the subject of ignition timing, does anyone know if there is an electronic system that will fit the later heavyweights in place of the contact breaker points. I have Pazon systems fitted to my two Triumphs and I know they do 6v one for 'British singles' but only specify Triumph and BSA. I was wondering if I could make one fit the G3.

How about a call to Pazon's U.K. distributors?
http://www.pazon.com/help.php?section=dealers
I poke badgers with spoons.

Previous

Return to G3 / Model 16