AJS 18S and sidecar

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
bjork

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by bjork »

I agree with Alan about the flimsy footrest tube, the bracket I have on my bike would sound like a possible way round the job. It's a peice of 1/2" thick flat steel strap. With a 3/8" hole at the bottom to bolt into the footrest clevis, then it rises upwards and is twisted through 90 degrees. The top has a 5/8" or so hole, that takes a bolt to a clamp to the rear subframe, just near the toolbox. The flat face of this has the large cycle thread hole to fit the ball joint to it.
I always wondered why this bit didn't quite fit my bike without a little "fettling" now I realise it was probably meant for a swing arm bike and not a rigid!
I will get some pictures as promised for Neil, now that I've found out why my camera wouldn't play!
Neil, if you can wait till Tuesday, I will be able to use my computer at work, which is much better than this steam powered version I have at home. (and the kids at work know how to use them too)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Biscuit
Deceased

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Biscuit »

Your using the wrong coal, Steve, - Welsh steam or anthracite should be used.

Dick Hobart

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Dick Hobart »

I wouldn't argue with Alan and Steve for one minute and quite applaud belt and braces approaches myself, but I did this when fitting a chair to a '53 G9 yonks ago and it worked well, including taking 3 adults and luggage on holiday. But then I was young and reckless then!
clive

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by clive »

Neil, are you still after the fittings? I have a bucket load of sidecar fittings somewhere in my garage. I know that includes the ball joint and might include the underseat joint. As garage is some distance away, and no lighting, let me know and I will search the bucket out from the hidden depths.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
neil cairns

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by neil cairns »

Thank you all for your help. Yes, Clive, I still need a seat bolt-eyebolt. The hole through the seat nose is 1/2", and it needs to clear the battery/control box. I have 'rigged' up a temporary joint for now, but only so I can get on with adjustments,etc. I too did not like using the rear footrest from the bottom rail, it is not strong enough. So I have made a clamp that sits at the end the rear part of the frame rises from this tube. From that I have run the lower/rear mounting.I have not used a ball joint, just the usual fork ends.

I will have to take some photos.

Neil.
Janet

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Janet »

Helo chaps.

i've got a Watsonian GP that I want to fit to a G80s. It came with various fittings but came off a different bike so I don't know what is surplus and what I'm short of. I'm sorry to hi-jack Neil's thread but if anyone can tell me exactly what I need I can then match it with what I've got.

Thank you.
bjork

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by bjork »

Neil, I've taken the photos, but am having technical difficulties sending them. I will try again tomorrow.
They may also be of use to you Janet, the only difference is how you fit the rear lower mounting/ball joint to swing arm types, but that is a very minor thing and if your bike has the large cycle thread hole in the footrest hanger it will be obvious how it goes.
As for using all clevis type fittings, that is fine and strong enough. The ball joint just makes aligning the chassis easier.
At this rate the club is going to be overrun with Wallace and Grommit impersonators!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Janet

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Janet »

More cheese Gromit?
neil cairns

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by neil cairns »

I have given up trying to understand how to submit a photo via this web site, ( it does not explain how I get the photo from my 'pictures' file onto the site...) So I will send it via the webmaster's email address.

And, Janet, private message for you on links.

Neil.
neil cairns

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by neil cairns »

Wallis & Grommet? I was thinking more along the lines of George & Mildred. ( What do you mean, who are they....)

Neil.