Wet sumping ~ the penny drops!!!!!!!!

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

After a honeymoon period with my Rik Gibbon pump, during which it hasn’t seemed to wet sump at all, today it has. The csr has been laid up for a week awaiting replacement shocks from Hagon and tonight I started her up to be startled by oil gushing out of the rear of the primary chaincase. Sure enough the oil tank level was at the bottom and the chaincase was full to bursting.

So…. Not wanting to fit any tap in the oil line and having given up on preventing the blighter wet sumping my question is, how can I stop the oil seeping into the chaincase from the sump? I have heard of an oil seal being fitted on the crankshaft in place of the oil thrower ring. Anyone know anything about it???
CR

Post by CR »

Lawrence, firstly if your oil tank has gone from not wet-sumping to emptying within a week, then it's likely that something fairly dramatic has occured! You might want to check the pump if that's the only thing that you've recently changed. You need to find out what's happened...preferably before you ride the bike!

If you have the September 1998 Jampot, you'll find an article on page 22 entitled "Keeping the oil in..." authored by myself. It describes the sealing of the inner chaincase on the driveside by the use of a lip seal. If you haven't got that issue let me know and I'll scan and send it via email.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Now Christopher, when you advised me on this mod. some six years ago, you entreated me not to say where the information came from, and if found out would deny all knowledge of said mod. Why are you not so coy now?

CR

Post by CR »

No,no Alan! I advised you on fitting a high-capacity pump to over-scavenge a higher than normal crankcase oil level whilst the engine was running (using a standard delivery pump). Of course, I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was recommending such a cheat for a problem which otherwise couldn't be correctly diagnosed. I would have also mentioned the lip seal to protect the chaincase from filling. Is your memory fading...?
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Hi Chris
Thanks for the advice. i will check the pump. i don't have the Jampot in question (I was scarcely a bairn then, Louise can confirm!!) If you could send it I would be very grateful. Incidentally I am acting on your advice regarding the front brake. I did e-mail you but am having terrible problems with a computer I bought last week and installed Office on, so believe you may not have received it. I hate computers!!

Alan, forgot???? He is like an elephant. His memory is dodgy though (only joking Cracker)
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

My memory only fades when ot comes to names, Tom. Anything engineering wise and its as sharp as a meat skewer!!

Janet

Post by Janet »

I've still got that article.

Now Lawrence, you don't think I'm going to let you have it, do you?

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

quote:
I've still got that article.

Now Lawrence, you don't think I'm going to let you have it, do you?

Being a lady, I am sure you would Janet if that kind gentleman, our esteemed headhitter, Chris hadn't already.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Lots of love

Lawrence
bjork

Post by bjork »

re that article on keeping the oil in. Can't see why anyone would bother to try? but as I feel generous I want to offer to type it up for you. Oh yes, and for me too. So, who has a paper copy of it to lend to me? I will even pay the postage! So if you do have that article lying around please contact me through here and I will do the deed.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
CR

Post by CR »

Steve, mail me and I'll return you a JPEG of the printed page (editor@jampot.com)