Use of coil valve springs instead of hairpins on H/W singles

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Re: Use of coil valve springs instead of hairpins on H/W singles

Post by 56G80S »

Resurrecting this thread, which I contributed to, as I failed earlier today to remember that the measurement, as Spriddler suggested, is taken between the open ends of the springs and the part that bears on the collet holder thingy.

I put the end of the steel rule against the inner side of the leg and slid it at right angles along until I reached the top loop and got a tad under 1+3/4" inner part to inner part. Barely adequate but of course, if measured correctly the distance at an angle would be greater and all happy I expect.

I will be posting on another thread about the springs though!

Johnny B
raffles

Post by raffles »

John
I have been using coil springs from Les at Russels for 40 years no problem. Except if you are using the short lightweight
rocker arms I have tried them and the valve springs became coil bound.
Tony
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

To be honest it has never occurred to me to measure that dimension since as long as the bike was running O.K. I've just checked that there isn't terminal wear on the springs' contact points. It's not as though these long stroke H/W singles would be prone to valve bounce. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi both

I checked the springs the "correct" way and they're inside the Army spec. tolerance, one by only 1/16" oa bit more but that's quite a lot on this front.

Top comment Raffles, as I will be fitting the lightweight rocker arm. Sprid, that lightweight rocker arm is part of the reason for checking. "terminal wear" well, there's ridges at the valve collet carrier thingy point and a flat on the legs where they bear on the bottom tray but I don't think anything terminal!

Do realise I'll have to check on the clearances to ensure no pushrod rubbing etc.

Thaks for your help.

Johnny B