Connecting Rod

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Phamiltoneddy

Connecting Rod

Post by Phamiltoneddy »

I recently acquired a connecting rod described as coming from a G2/Model 14. The casting mark is 042225 and the inside diameter of the big-end eye is 1.90" approximately. I believe it is a CSR conrod but can anyone confirm that this is definitely the case?
Janet

Re: Connecting Rod

Post by Janet »

According to my information, the CSR should be 043201.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

042225 not even listed in the 1960 master spares list
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Rob,
Phamiltoneddy mentioned that it was a casting number.

Rob C
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

042225 is a genuine leightweight 250 csr part number for the conrod, not a casting number. However it does not appear in any parts list, I have no idea why. My 14csr has this part number on the conrod and I have another bent rod again the same number 042225.
Phamiltoneddy

Post by Phamiltoneddy »

Connecting Rod 1 (640x480).jpg
Here's a photo of the conrod in question. The big-end eye seems larger than my recollection of that fitted to the early 250s so I guessed it might be from a CSR. I am hoping that someone may have a loose conrod of known identity lying around in their workshop and be able to measure the big-end eye and offer a definitive opinion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phamiltoneddy

Post by Phamiltoneddy »

Thanks, Spitfire, and other contributors. It seems that it is indeed a CSR conrod.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

there's a lot of pt. no's 0422?? from which only 042225 is missing on the 1960 master parts list. Pt. no's are cast as well as casting no's. you get to recognise which are pt. no's. Take AJS up to 1954 timing chain cover for example. Casting inside is pt. no. yes pt. no. 38-22-E?? that pt. no. also tells a story 38 = introduced in 1938 22 = the smallest model the part fitted. You find pt. no's cast on a number of items, like inside covers, on footrests, brake pedals etc. The cover may show a NEW pt. no. listed from approx. 1951 onwards, so the 38-22 etc number may be considered a casting number, which it is not, its the old pt. no. The casting did change a little from 1938 to 54, but the old pt. no. was not changed. ( 1938 the cover had a grease nipple, a little later this was removed and blanked off leaving a round flat where the nipple fitted later still the flat was smoothed out to match the profile rad.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

spitfire wrote:042225 is a genuine leightweight 250 csr part number for the conrod, not a casting number. However it does not appear in any parts list, I have no idea why. My 14csr has this part number on the conrod and I have another bent rod again the same number 042225.
Some parts lists had stickers or loose inserts that get lost, that may state use xxxxxx instead of xxxxx or in later years the parts list was just perhaps a single sheet of parts that differ from xxxx year. Perhaps one day a crumpled sheet of paper will be found where a dealer has updated a pt. no. via info from AMC which was just a letter. Perhaps it may even be found mentioned in a " service sheet "
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

That nick in the rod above the number is almost exactly in the right place for the rod to bend :o

Rob C