Re: Questions from new owner

Post by Merlin »

buzzy little 2-strokes.

I am quite happy with my little two stroke thank. :oops: :D
Chemists do it with test tubes
Grim Rider

Post by Grim Rider »

Thanks for the advice Janet - I am sure it was more than once :)
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:I don't have an air filter on mine and I rarely need to clean out the carb. (No, I will not welcome comments like "that's because he bike is never working. ) The open end of the bellmouth goes behind the nearside cover which reduces the chances of grit and buzzy little 2-strokes being sucked in. Many old Brit bikes didn't have filters unless they were being used in particularly dusty or sandy places.
Even so it has been proved that fitting an air filter will extend the life of an engine by stopping small particles from entering the combustion chamber. Petrol enters via needles and jets but the air gets sucked straight through bits and all!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Grim Rider

Post by Grim Rider »

Further questions if you will indulge me (I have tried to do some searches first, I promise Janet!);

1. there is a single fuel tap between my tank and carburettor, and this has a single pull switch so therefore does not seem to have any reserve function or am I missing something?

2. I have been looking into electronic ignition - it is obvious some people have fitted them to 14s; but it would seem there is no specific model and they need modifying? Speaking to Paul Goff he suggests this would need to be done to the Pazon ignition he can supply but I am not sure what modification is needed?

Thanks for all help :)
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com
Janet

Post by Janet »

Your tank should have two taps connecting to gether and then going via a single pipe to your carburettor. It doesn't have a reserve because you open one at a time, usually the offside one first as it's easier to turn on the nearside when riding. Because of the hump over the frames, when all the fuel from one side of the tank has drained, there is still an amount on the other which forms the reserve. Sometimes, taps with upstand tubes in the tank are used, the taller one being main, and the shorter being reserve.

Can't help with electronic ignition.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hiya, i fitted Boyer Bransden unit. I had to modify the rotor arm and turn up an 11mm bush to allow the unit to fit.

I spoke to there technical people first to ensured that i recieved a 3'' back plate and the additional fitting instructions - works a treat easy to set up.

I had already converted to 12V again very easy to do.

all the best

Steve
Grim Rider

Post by Grim Rider »

Janet wrote:Your tank should have two taps connecting to gether and then going via a single pipe to your carburettor. It doesn't have a reserve because you open one at a time, usually the offside one first as it's easier to turn on the nearside when riding. Because of the hump over the frames, when all the fuel from one side of the tank has drained, there is still an amount on the other which forms the reserve. Sometimes, taps with upstand tubes in the tank are used, the taller one being main, and the shorter being reserve.
Thats what I thought I had seen Janet (I think the last bike I had with two taps was a 1978 R80RT. Mine only has one so guess I need to check the thread size and source a second tap.
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com
Grim Rider

Post by Grim Rider »

Rangy65 wrote:Hiya, i fitted Boyer Bransden unit. I had to modify the rotor arm and turn up an 11mm bush to allow the unit to fit.

I spoke to there technical people first to ensured that i recieved a 3'' back plate and the additional fitting instructions - works a treat easy to set up.

I had already converted to 12V again very easy to do.

all the best

Steve
Thanks Steve - collecting the parts to convert to 12V. Do you know if anyone has photographs of modifying the rotor arm? cheers, Robert
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello Mate sorry didnt think to photograph it - however here's a scan of the instructions, you basically need to machine off the taper. Its really easy if you have access to a lathe or someone who could machine it for you.

I would suggest your local section, chaps there always seem to know someone who has, or knows where to get lathe work done.
Boyer matchless conversion.jpg
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grim Rider

Post by Grim Rider »

Many thanks. There doesn't seem to be a local section in the West Midlands?
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com