head gasket AJS 250 CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
triumph thaiger

head gasket AJS 250 CSR

Post by triumph thaiger »

I need a new cylinder head gasket for my AJS 250 CSR .
What came out was a home made job made of thick gasket paper and a thin copper ring which sat over the top edge of the cylinder barrel . I believe a 2 part gasket ( copper or aluminium around the barrel and gasket parer for the vicinity of the push rod tunnels ) is best ? I live in Thailand and I'm afraid the country is not exactly awash with spare parts for AJS motorcycles. So I'd like to make the head gasket myself.
Can anyone advise what thickness copper or alu to use ? Many thanks in advance and cheers from sunny Phuket

Maxim Jurgens
clanger9

Re: head gasket AJS 250 CSR

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Maxim,

Here is a photo of a 250 head gasket:

According to my micrometer, the gasket material is 1.72mm thick and the copper ring is 2.20mm.

Good luck!
Paul.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
G15 Roy

Re: head gasket AJS 250 CSR

Post by G15 Roy »

triumph thaiger wrote:I need a new cylinder head gasket for my AJS 250 CSR .
What came out was a home made job made of thick gasket paper and a thin copper ring which sat over the top edge of the cylinder barrel . I believe a 2 part gasket ( copper or aluminium around the barrel and gasket parer for the vicinity of the push rod tunnels ) is best ? I live in Thailand and I'm afraid the country is not exactly awash with spare parts for AJS motorcycles. So I'd like to make the head gasket myself.
Can anyone advise what thickness copper or alu to use ? Many thanks in advance and cheers from sunny Phuket

Maxim Jurgens
Hi why not join the Club and buy all the parts you need.
Roy