Model 14 electrics

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rogkid

Model 14 electrics

Post by Rogkid »

Is the wiring diagram on page 95 (Singles 1960-1961) of the Workshop Instruction Manual the one to use for this model ?
There wasn't a battery fitted when I got the bike.
There is a brown wire and a red wire in the battery compartment. I think the the brown is
negative and the red is for earth and positive. There is also a black wire which doesn't
seem to connect to anything. Any ideas?
Ozmadman

Re: Model 14 electrics

Post by Ozmadman »

Rogkid wrote:Is the wiring diagram on page 95 (Singles 1960-1961) of the Workshop Instruction Manual the one to use for this model ?
There wasn't a battery fitted when I got the bike.
There is a brown wire and a red wire in the battery compartment. I think the the brown is
negative and the red is for earth and positive. There is also a black wire which doesn't
seem to connect to anything. Any ideas?
You are right about the brown wire(brown/blue if it is original) going to the live and the red is positive earth. Not sure about the black though, you should have a wire that goes off to the ammeter according to the diagram but they both conect to the negative side of the battery so probably won't matter. Maybe the black wire is a replacement for the battery negative wire and the brown one is the original one for the ammeter? I am not a wiring expert but that diagram looks like it could be the correct one for a lightweight.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

It will all depend on if it is the original wiring or if the bike has been rewired at any time in it's life.

If it is original wiring all earth wires should be "translucent" ie clear. The red wire (is it maroon?) would be the wire from coil to points. Black wire should be rear light. Brown wire could be Battery to ammeter feed or could be rectifier to switch feed.

BUT if it has been re wired all bets are off they could be anything!
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Ozmadman wrote: You are right about the brown wire(brown/blue if it is original) going to the live and the red is positive earth. .
Paul,
Brown/Blue was never used in original Wipac looms. It is used by Catmando Services as earth wires (as translucent is no longer available) and also to identify looms he made.
Red wires on Wipac looms are headlamp to dipswitch and maroon are coil to points.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Weird? Cos that's what the workshop manual is showing in the archives?
Paul
1960 Model 8
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Which workshop manual in which archive?

I have checked original Wipac wiring sheets, F Neill "Pink book" , and 1960 AJS and Matchless owners handbooks in Christian's archive and the all show transulcent for earth wires.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Colin F wrote:Which workshop manual in which archive?

I have checked original Wipac wiring sheets, F Neill "Pink book" , and 1960 AJS and Matchless owners handbooks in Christian's archive and the all show transulcent for earth wires.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... CHABLE.pdf

Page 95
Paul
1960 Model 8
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Page 82 of these archives shows a wiring diagram for the 250c.c. and 350 c.c. 'lightweight' models; the battery positive terminal is connected to the frame earth by a transparent-insulated cable, although the diagram is not very clear !
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

That is why! You are looking at a wiring diagram for a HEAVYWEIGHT single! uses Lucas switches and alternator.

You need to be looking at Page 82 for lightweights, Wipac electrics!

If you try to fix a G2 wiring problem referring to page 95 you will have all sorts of issues!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Colin F wrote:That is why! You are looking at a wiring diagram for a HEAVYWEIGHT single! uses Lucas switches and alternator.

You need to be looking at Page 82 for lightweights, Wipac electrics!

If you try to fix a G2 wiring problem referring to page 95 you will have all sorts of issues!
Thanks!!! that may have helped to answer the posters original question as he was using page 95... you can see the word "translucent" if you zoom the picture.. Looks like the "translucent" one has been changed to a red one and possibly the black is now the negative one leaving the brown for the ammeter. I can't check on mine as mine has been rewired so may not have the correct colours, although I do have the red, black and brown as mentioned above
Paul
1960 Model 8