Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
smudge78

Re: Oil Change/Socket Sizes

Post by smudge78 »

Will check and let you know!
smudge78

Post by smudge78 »

Yep! They are 1/2" bars/ratchets that slot in to the metric sockets!
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

Jean-Noel is so very right, Hexagonal or "6 Point" sockets are a much better bet, (the 12 point sort are very good at rounding off old nuts and bolts)
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

smudge78 wrote:Yep! They are 1/2" bars/ratchets that slot in to the metric sockets!
Nice little ride out to Johns place today (approx 40 mile round trip)to help with the oil change/plug removal issue. Nice tidy G2 and raised up on a sturdy stand which is worth considering when I get fed up laying on the gravel in my front garden, how nice to have a garage!!! offending plug removed ok. My bike ran like a dream 50/55mph along the main roads, first time it has had a run with a constant speed for any length of time, just makes me want to do that more often..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Sounds good, Paul. What sprocket sizes are you using? My Model 8 feels like I'm thrashing it too much at 50!
Mark
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajsm18 wrote:Sounds good, Paul. What sprocket sizes are you using? My Model 8 feels like I'm thrashing it too much at 50!
Mark
Hi Mark
Standard crankshaft(22 tooth duplex) and rear sprocket(55 teeth) but a 20 tooth on the gearbox output shaft instead of the standard 18 tooth one. 1st gear becomes usable again but the bottom limit really for top gear is 30 mph any slower and you need to change down to stop labouring the engine. The club don't do a 20 tooth so got mine from Andrew engineering also you may need to either get a slightly longer chain or add a link/split link as it is surprising how much bigger the sprocket looks. I did um and ah as the sprocket was £30 but I had the bike apart and had spent a tidy sum already so I just went for it and glad I did
Paul
1960 Model 8
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote: My bike ran like a dream 50/55mph along the main roads, first time it has had a run with a constant speed for any length of time, just makes me want to do that more often..
You need to get out more.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:You need to get out more.
You're right Janet I do but part time shift work and having a partner who hates bikes and who only has weekends off and therefore expects I spend some time with her along with a 13 year old alien teenager, saps most of my time. When I do get the chance, usually a week day when she is at work, I am at a loss where to go on my own (billy no mates) apart from my usual run along the seafront and around the local countryside. That's why going out with a purpose the other day was so nice, somewhere to go and a reason for going. I need to try to find some local classic bike owners who have the same problem or get a partner that likes biking!! shallow? maybe..
Paul
1960 Model 8
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Thanks for the info, Paul. I let a mate of mine take it out yesterday because I thought the clutch was still slipping. He said it wasn't and found it really nice to ride so I think I need to accept the bike as it is for now and be happy cruising at about 40-45mph. I think I'll get myself a 20t sprocket for when I get the time to improve things!