Kickstart not returning

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
iansoady

Re: Kickstart not returning

Post by iansoady »

If it is a Norton box be careful as the kickstart staying down is often a symptom of a failed or failing layshaft bearing (the one on the drive side). This was a common problem on Commandos with the increased power.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Ian, all the "Norton box" talk has misled you too..."boyd's" bike is a lightweight model, proving it's best to mention what bike you have in your question to avoid confusion...Les
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Yes you're right. When I open the forum I see all new posts and have to confess I don't always notice which forum subsection they're in......
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Very good point Ian...I had forgotten that the new post list which I always go to first has the subsection shown...so I must also get into the habit of checking that first...
boyd

Post by boyd »

Sorry I should have mentioned the bike is a lightweight, the kickstart is staying down after it starts but seems to lift if the bike is rolled backwards in gear, Ive also noticed a small amount of oil leakage around the lever too. Ill take it apart when I get a chance and take a better look, before I order any parts.
Wondering is it bad to ride the bike when its in this condition? It doesn't seem to be making any strange noises or anything.... what would you all think?
Thanks

Boyd
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I had a broken return spring on an AMC box which I didn't have time to fix and used an old inner tube cut across as an "elastic band" fitted externally to return it for several weeks and there were no ill effects.

I don't think there'll be any adverse effects on that round gearbox in the lightweights so long as it's in the right position when being ridden.

Johnny B
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Sounds like the spring is either very weak or does not have enough tension on the ratchet to pull it back either way no real problem will occur with it as it is. With mine if my leg accidentally pushes the lever down a little when running I get a noise like the gears grating but as long as the lever is in the upright position it should be fine. The oil leak on these through either kick start or gear lever shafts is pretty standard but fit new seals when you put it back together and it may not leak but no guarantees.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
boyd

Post by boyd »

Ok I'll get her open and take a look, thanks again
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

boyd wrote:Went to start the bike this morning and after a few kicks the bike started but the kickstart didn't spring back up. It still starts the bike but I need to pull it back into place after its started or it just stays down.... Any Ideas?
Did you get this sorted??
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
boyd

Post by boyd »

I haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet. It is still riding fine and starting pretty easily. I'll have to take a look soon. It hangs right down once it's started... Not sure if this is a bad thing. Maybe I need to support it after its running. I don't want to damage it.