Kickstart not returning

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
boyd

Kickstart not returning

Post by boyd »

Went to start the bike this morning and after a few kicks the bike started but the kickstart didn't spring back up. It still starts the bike but I need to pull it back into place after its started or it just stays down.... Any Ideas?
Ozmadman

Re: Kickstart not returning

Post by Ozmadman »

Reckon the return spring has broken, not too difficult to do just a bit fiddly. when I get a mo I will post some tips on here

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

This may be of no use to you whatsoever, but it's all true.

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7047
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Slightly odd that the kickstart stays in place when you pull it back generally when the spring has broken the lever flops back down again when you drive off, so it could be the tang of the spring has come out off the shaft hole and is still squeezing against the shaft to give some friction....anyway....

Apart from a new spring it's worth checking the the "pawl" for wear and replacing it and the shaft O ring to get the benefit of the cover removal ...you will need a new "outer" gasket too.

Les
Last edited by Les Howard on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

That is a Norton box and could be confusing as it is nothing like a lightweight box. But the kickstart shaft/spring images are similar as is the selector pawl so it does give an indication of what lays behind that end cover. if your gear change shaft leaks oil either where the splined part exits the case or where the selector shaft exits the centre of the gear change shaft then replace the seals. the gear change shaft seal is the same as the kickstart shaft one and there are two small o rings on the selector shaft. BUT, they will probably still leak a little, changed mine twice and I still have a leak around the gear change shaft...
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

boyd wrote:Went to start the bike this morning and after a few kicks the bike started but the kickstart didn't spring back up. It still starts the bike but I need to pull it back into place after its started or it just stays down.... Any Ideas?
Does the kick-start lever stay up after you've lifted it manually or does it flop again? The spring on mine had not broken but became too weak to lift the lever back up although it gave no problem with starting the bike. In fact, it was easier for me because I didn't need to get my foot up so high to operate it. If the lever stays up properly when lifted, I suspect something is jamming inside the box when at the end of its swing.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Ozmadman said:
"That is a Norton box and could be confusing"
Sorry...from memory I thought you had a heavy weight bike with an AMC box....Out of interest and accuracy the Norton gearbox was never used in ANY of the AJS Matchless machines including the later hybrid ones with a Norton engine...Les
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:That is a Norton box and could be confusing as it is nothing like a lightweight box.
I know I'm somewhat dim and the old eyesight isn't what it once was, but what is 'That'? Is there something on this thread that I can't see?
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Janet...Ozmadman was referring to my link to an AMC heavy weight gearbox rebuild that I included a link for on the post above his...I've now deleted it to avoid the confusion that Oz pointed out....so your question "is there something on this thread that I can't see?"...answer is yes but don't worry about it...Les
Janet

Post by Janet »

Les P H wrote:Hi Janet...Ozmadman was referring to my link to an AMC heavy weight gearbox rebuild that I included a link for on the post above his...I've now deleted it to avoid the confusion that Oz pointed out....so your question "is there something on this thread that I can't see?"...answer is yes but don't worry about it...Les
Ta everso!