14 CSR 250 gearbox puzzle

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Richtalk

14 CSR 250 gearbox puzzle

Post by Richtalk »

Can anyone help? I have a 250 gearbox in bits (stripped down by someone else years ago). I am looking for pictures/photos/guidance on how to reassemble. It's like a bloody jigsaw puzzle! I have a picture of the parts from the parts catalogue but it's not too clear. Would welcome any assistance. Thanks
Richard
dave16mct

Re: 14 CSR 250 gearbox puzzle

Post by dave16mct »

Look in Christians archives here:
http://www.archives.jampot.dk
see under books, 57-64 workshop manual all models. Some good pics and info on lightweight gearboxes.
Dave.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

try this.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/ ... s-archives

if you get stuck, come back on here.. I have had a few of these apart so know them pretty well

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Also read through this thread as I describe a better/easier way in my opinion of assembling the box than the one described in the article

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=10

paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Richard, Paul's thread helped me out big time as the instruction manual assumes you know how the gear box came to bits in the first place.

I still have a few gremlins with mine - kick start doesnt return properly and i had a major oil leak on the kick start shaft. Oil leak fixed by fitting the X ring seal p/n 040006X this is from the club and its says AMC gearchange spindle- its the same size as the lightweight kick start shaft. leave the old o ring in and put the new one over the shaft so it buts up against the old one fit the front cover screw up and fixed oil leak.

Just a tip that could save you from one of the gearbox oil leak flustrations.

Good luck
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I had similar with a leak even though I had used the new type seal so whilst I had (still have) the engine and box out I did as you have done and used two seals. This is probably the reason why the return is slow/not returning properly. It may free up on it's own but you could always take the end cover off and tension the ratchet a tad more, not too much as you may end up breaking the spring on the downward swing!
Paul
1960 Model 8