Battery Removal from Matchless G2

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
smudge78

Battery Removal from Matchless G2

Post by smudge78 »

Have just taken delivery of my g2 I am now going to lay her up over Winter and need to know if I can leave the battery in situ or what's the best way to :P remove it for a trickle charge. I have downloaded most of the available manuals but none seem to explain this and I don't want to remove the seat unless I have to, even seat removal doesn't appear straight forward! Please don't be too hard on me as I am an old Newbie, thanks! :?:
Merlin

Re: Battery Removal from Matchless G2

Post by Merlin »

I always remove mine. :D
Chemists do it with test tubes
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Can't you access the battery via the side panel, I can.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

As Rob said, undo single chrome screw on off side panel, it's on a hinge so drop it down, unclip the rubber strap, pull battery out so far, remove lid if you have one, disconnect wires noting what goes where and thats it.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

If you have a nice bike and don't want to damage the paint then put a bit of cloth over the kickstart lever otherwise the cover may get chipped as it hits the kickstart.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
smudge78

Post by smudge78 »

Thanks guys! I did manage to get it charged in situ, the offside panel didn't fully drop down as the kick start fouled it but I just managed to get the clips on ok. Shame there isn't an idiots manual that explains more of the basics for newbies like me! :)
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

You should still be able to get the battery out even if the flap does only drop down 90 degrees. The manuals of the day are a bit basic, missing loads of stuff out and the workshop manual seems to assume that you already know the basics, which I suppose back in the day people did

Paul

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

smudge78 wrote:....the offside panel didn't fully drop down as the kick start fouled it
:? From pics on here of G2's it seems you should be able to push the kickstart down out of the way of the hinged lid (more easily and without turning th'engine over if you hold the clutch lever in...........).
Or am I missing something? :oops:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As stated move the kick starter using the clutch, tie it down if need be. Instruction book tells little, get a workshop manual, make sure it covers lightweights.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

smudge78 wrote:Have just taken delivery of my g2 I am now going to lay her up over Winter
Another thought, John.............if the bike's not going to be used for a few months the clutch plates can become stuck together.
To prevent that happening pull the clutch lever in, operate the kick starter half a dozen times then release clutch lever and go smugly back indoors. Do it every week or two.
With the clutch lever pulled in th'engine will not turn over and the kick start will easily be depressed. (You won't avoid that by cracking a joke or two as kick starts have absolutely no sense of humour).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'