AJS CS 250

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
shrinkwrap

AJS CS 250

Post by shrinkwrap »

I recently purchased a AJS CS 250 I was wondering if anyone knows the length of the rear shocks from centre to centre I know the lightweights had there own special shocks which are longer than other models, the ones that came with the bike are from a standard road 250 model. I am looking for any help generaly for this scambler model.
shrinkwrap

Re: AJS CS 250

Post by shrinkwrap »

Hi shame nobody seems to have any knowledge of the CS 250 . I know these are pretty rare . I have just sent the frame and tin wear for blasting and powder coating the wheels are in good nick along with handle bars , Ali mug guards needed the odd dent removed . The engine is in pretty good nick so have removed barrel for deep cleaning and repainting , the piston is a high compression type am sending the head and rocker cover for vapouring . Look to start putting back together in a couple of weeks . If someone has one of these bikes I would love to hear from them with any help.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I know nothing about Lightweight shocks and guess you just want to know the length (to obtain some?) but if you get completely stuck............

I wanted to lower my new Honda and had a lot of knowledgeable co-operation from Tony Hutchison at Hagon Shocks, Sales3@hagon-shocks.co.uk
I gave him overall unloaded length required, weight of bike and required length when loaded. He calculated spring compression factor (kg/cm) appropriate to the angle between swing arm and top shock mounting point and weight solo or with a pillion, and supplied the new shocks (£150 a pair I think).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
shrinkwrap

Post by shrinkwrap »

Thank you for your advise regarding the shocks. Once I get the parts back which will be soon I will loose assemble and see what she looks like .
Peter
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Peter1290 wrote:Thank you for your advise regarding the shocks. Once I get the parts back which will be soon I will loose assemble and see what she looks like .
Peter
Unfortunately the parts books and workshop manuals are very devoid of detailed information so unless someone has such a bike no-one will know the measurements. How do you know the bike had "standard" shocks on it, maybe they aren't standard to start with. Not sure how different if at all the scrambler frame is but as you say it has "standard" shocks on it a the moment it can't be too different. The parts list does list a different part number for the CS shocks but maybe it is just the spring strength and as you can take them apart maybe just change the springs?? You will have great difficulty getting L/W shocks anyway but they are only made like that to clear the chain guard so if that is not your concern then you should be able to find something to suit

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shrinkwrap

Post by shrinkwrap »

Thanks for looking in parts list ,I have 2 AJS 250 CSR 1966 which I have put back on the road in the past couple of years and also have enough to put another back on the road ,the shocks that came with the bike are the same length as the ones on the CSR's which have 17in wheels where as the CS has 19in and a different stronger swinging arm so thought there could be a difference . The frame is basically the same as the 58 road model with a thicker down tube and a different back end to connect the aluminium rear mud guard to since there is a noberley tire on the back the clearance between it and the mud guard looked a bit small. I am considering trying some slightly longer shocks from a Honda trial bike to see what they look like can always put the others back on.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

I will be able to provide you with the correct length for the rear shocks for a 250CS..... as you correctly guessed, they are longer than the standard road shocks.
The problem is I will need to find them and I will probably not be able to get into the shed in the daylight until the weekend.
John
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

There you go... result!!! what a great club this is..... :!: :!: :!: :!:
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shrinkwrap

Post by shrinkwrap »

Thanks to all, this morning I recieved an email from Poul in Denmark giving me a data sheet for Girling shocks in it it says the standard road shocks are 14.9 inchs compressed to 12.9 and the CS shocks are 15.8 inchs compressed to 13.2 so 400mm shocks should do the job.

John do you have a 250CS ?
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Yes... I have owned one for over 35 years and managed to buy a second a couple of years back.
If you need any information just ask.
Kind regards,
John