Too Loud?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
boyd

Too Loud?

Post by boyd »

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas for quietening my exhaust?
I personally don't mind the sound but it seems to be upsetting a few neighbours and frightening people when I start it in town near where people are sitting outside cafés, pubs etc.
I have investigated getting a pepper pot from armours, but I'm reading that they make little difference.
I don't really want to buy a whole new silencer as the one I have is in good shape.
Les Howard

Re: Too Loud?

Post by Les Howard »

Hitchcocks sell these devices...never tried them though. I would imagine that the pepper pot device would make a reasonable difference but all restrictive devices will reduce performance just a touch Otherwise consider fitting a Velocette Fishtail silencer! Their very large internal capacity and relatively complex baffling produces a beautiful mellow sound on the low tuned MSS 500 and keeps down the noise quite well on hairy cammed High compression Venoms and Thruxtons without performance loss. They look superb too. If you are worried about changing the looks or performance from standard then you must suffer the "standard" noise. Items about half way down web page:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pa ... ageref=113

SILENCER BAFFLES
Picture of SILENCER BAFFLES
These baffles can be used in virtually any silencer. The smaller baffles are supplied with most of our silencers as standard and can be modified by bending the tangs or shortening to achieve the best compromise between noise and performance. They are attached with a small bolt.

PART No. DESCRIPTION PRICE
BAFFLE3 BAFFLE, (Fits inside diameters from 36mm) £7.50

BAFFLE1 BAFFLE, (Fits inside diameters from 42mm) £7.50

BAFFLE2 BAFFLE, (Fits inside diameters from 48mm) £7.50

MUTE

Picture of MUTE
This can be used to reduce the noise made by an exhaust system. It cannot be modified in the way that the exhaust baffles can and is the correct diameter to fit tightly in side the 350cc exhaust pipes and the 350 & 500cc high level trials pipes that we offer.

Dimensions: Diameter 35mm.

PART No. DESCRIPTION PRICE
MUTE SILENCER MUTE £8.50

ATB...Les
Last edited by Les Howard on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Those fit in the end baffles are quite good, on my R/E I had one and it did make quite a difference.

however I am a beliver in loud pipes save lives! So I would run it for a week on open pipe then refit your silencer and everybody will think 'what a jolly good chap, he's made the bike a lot quieter' :rofl:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
clive

Post by clive »

If you have silencer with no baffles then its pretty much like running with an open pipe. Not sure about the G2 but the heavweights originally came with the pepperpot. I have a Burgess straight through silencer fitted to one of my bikes. My secret enjoyment comes from riding down a narrow London street with Chelsea tractors parked either side and listening as the vibration/noise starts all their alarms blaring. Best done at 8 am on a Sunday morning (and of course nowhere near where I live). :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
boyd

Post by boyd »

Clive, I will definitely try this out!
Janet

Post by Janet »

clive wrote: My secret enjoyment comes from riding down a narrow London street with Chelsea tractors parked either side and listening as the vibration/noise starts all their alarms blaring.
Glyn has a mate with a cafe-raced BSA A10 that does that. When he comes here it's only for a few minutes as they're going out, usually to a rally, but our neighbours don't seem to have latched onto that fact yet so he rides down the street, alarms go off and the people nip out and reset them. Within 5 minutes, he rides back up the street and....well, you can guess the rest. I know that it only takes a minute to pinch a car but the owners would be less inconvenienced if they stood by their vehicles until he left. They could chuck rotten tomatoes at him as he went past to discourage his return. :D .
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Hello Boyd,
I have a G2 which was very loud even with a pepper pot in the pipe. I sorted the
problem using wire wool I added a bit at a time until I got the right result. Quite
cheap at B&Q.
Ray.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stainless pot scourer be a bit more expensive, but would last longer also stay in one bit..
Janet

Post by Janet »

RAY BOWMAN wrote:Hello Boyd,
I have a G2 which was very loud even with a pepper pot in the pipe.
Ray.
Did the backfires sound like sneezes?
boyd

Post by boyd »

My apologies for neglecting to check the forum... The bike has been running amazingly well since the end of July, not a problem with it aside from an occasional cleaning of the banjo filter. It is still however as loud as ever!! Where did you put the steel wool exactly? I'd like to give it aa try. Thanks again Boyd