Petrol tank mystery

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
nvmat1

Petrol tank mystery

Post by nvmat1 »

Hello. Does anyone know what the purpose of the threaded inserts are beside the knee pad bars on some early 1960's lightweight petrol tanks? They are hidden once knee pad rubbers are in place.
Ozmadman

Re: Petrol tank mystery

Post by Ozmadman »

nvmat1 wrote:Hello. Does anyone know what the purpose of the threaded inserts are beside the knee pad bars on some early 1960's lightweight petrol tanks? They are hidden once knee pad rubbers are in place.
I have asked this question before and had no answer. I have two tanks both identical but one has the holes and the other one hasn't so I wish someone could enlighten both of us

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
nvmat1

Post by nvmat1 »

I thought maybe they were to secure some form of chrome panels but that doesn't add up as both the tanks I have with the threaded inserts have old chrome plating. They do not appear on the later CSR tanks with stick-on knee pad rubbers.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

nvmat1 wrote:I thought maybe they were to secure some form of chrome panels but that doesn't add up as both the tanks I have with the threaded inserts have old chrome plating. They do not appear on the later CSR tanks with stick-on knee pad rubbers.
Interestingly the tank that I have with the inserts was originally partly chromed, it's been rubbed down and painted over now. The one without the inserts was never chrome plated so why I wonder did the plated tanks have those holes? weird as they are in such a strange place??

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ozmadman wrote:.... the tank with the inserts was originally partly chromed, ... The one without the inserts was never chrome plated
My guess is that tanks originally intended to be chromed were painted.
Or that maybe in order to reduce capital invested in stock a batch of dual purpose tanks were produced with inserts, so that they could be either chromed or painted according to varying production requirements.
Certainly cheaper to fit inserts to all tanks than to hold two types of tank in stock; some with inserts and some without.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The threaded insert may had been used to hold the tank during manufacture, when sprayed, stoved, dipped or electrostatic spray coated.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:The threaded insert may had been used to hold the tank during manufacture, when sprayed, stoved, dipped or electrostatic spray coated.
Thanks Rob and Neville, I did wonder whether this was the case, as it appears that only the chrome plated tanks had the insert so maybe they were needed for the plating practise.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
boyd

Post by boyd »

Off the topic of thread, but wondering where you got hold of the pin striping on your tanks or are they hand done? They look great.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

boyd wrote:Off the topic of thread, but wondering where you got hold of the pin striping on your tanks or are they hand done? They look great.
It's hand done with pinstripe stencil tape ie: you put the tape on and then paint between the lines then remove the tape. Got it from here

http://www.finessepinstriping.com/striper_order.asp

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
boyd

Post by boyd »

Nice job, you must have a steadier hand than me! I'll have a look into it