Bottom frame rail

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ajscomboman

Re: Bottom frame rail

Post by ajscomboman »

True, you can have a peak but a total waste of time in reality if the leak is there and you have to fix it. I agree that the leak is unlikely to be in that area and is more than likely the gear box/chaincase. The only other area could be the oil tank joint but it's less likely.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Mine leaked from the ignition, adv/ret housing, filled up the side cover and then covered everything before depositing on the road.. Where it appears is not necessarily near where it's escaping from.
Don't they sometimes leak from where the oil pump fits in?
nvmat1

Post by nvmat1 »

Hi All. Just a thought. Could there be problems with the crank case thread for the drain plug? The first G2 I had had a badly stripped crank case thread which was only just holding the drain plug, which itself had no thread damage. Guess lot of cross threading had taken place over time due to the inaccessible location of the plug between the engine and cradle pressing, with only a small opening in the pressing to get the plug located. Not one of AMC's greatest design moments I think!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Could be but then you could see the leak without removing the bottom rail. Also, as long as the correct plug is in the correct hole there shouldn't a problem with access ability a little bit fiddly but you should be able to screw it in enough by hand to ensure it isn't cross threaded before using a socket to tighten it up.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed