Bottom frame rail

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

Bottom frame rail

Post by davegsx »

I'm trying to trace the source of the oil leak on my engine.
Is it possible to remove the bottom frame rail with out taking the whole engine out?
Rob Harknett

Re: Bottom frame rail

Post by Rob Harknett »

What bike, not that it matters, unless you are loosing a lot of oil, it seems a lot of work that will prove a wasted effort.
The bikes leaked from new. Chain case, and a dribble from the breather at least.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Since this thread is in the G2/M14 section, I'd guess that it is his M14 CSR.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

It is losing a lot of oil. It is getting embarrassing, I went to visit my Mum and she was not too impressed with the oil all over her front path.
Hi Janet,
You are right it is my AJS 250 CSR.
Has any one tried removing the bottom rail?
Janet

Post by Janet »

davegsx wrote:Has any one tried removing the bottom rail?
Not me. I can't see it for oil.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Simple answer is No! To get to the area you are talking about you will have to remove the motor. The bottom cradle wraps around the casings and is also locked into the main frame down tube. It's a pain and be careful when removing the motor if you don't support the frame cradle it opens up and collapses as the studs used to locate the motor also keep the frame together.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I've always managed to stop oil dripping on the drive by parking on the grass
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

OOhhh, I checked what bikes the owner had but not the thread.
Where's oil coming from? start by checking engine and gear box loss, if engine, is there more oil in the chain case than you put in or less. Less in chain case, found one leak, more in chain case, release vales need checking, perhaps chain case also. With luck that may be good enough to find a bad leak.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

g80csp11 wrote:I've always managed to stop oil dripping on the drive by parking on the grass
When visiting friends I park on a manhole which protects it from going rusty. :D
Chemists do it with test tubes
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajscomboman wrote:Simple answer is No! To get to the area you are talking about you will have to remove the motor. The bottom cradle wraps around the casings and is also locked into the main frame down tube. It's a pain and be careful when removing the motor if you don't support the frame cradle it opens up and collapses as the studs used to locate the motor also keep the frame together.
Not technically true... I pivoted down my lower frame to change the centre stand spring when everyone else said you had to take the engine out to do it. Lean the bike against a wall or something, remove the foot rests, centre and side stand if you have it then loosen the bolts at the bottom of the down tube(can't remember if it was just the lower one or both??)DON'T TAKE THEM RIGHT OUT, NO NEED TO AS THE LOWER FRAME ONLY HAS SLOTS TO LOCATE THEM, and the large nuts that also attach the rear footrest arms(the lower frame will pivot on that long stud thing) then the frame will pull down and this should you enough room to have a look. Not much to see though and unlikely to be a leak there apart from both sump plugs?? more likely gearbox oil, primary case oil.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed