Broken Primary Chain

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
boyd

Re: Broken Primary Chain

Post by boyd »

Any ideas where I might find one besides there? eBay was a dead end, I found a place in Austria but they were more than double the price.
Interestingly it appears that it was the connecting link that broke, or is that always going to be, literally the weakest link?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:I think you should find the G2 is 042184 73 links 3/8" x .225 The 350 is the same size but only 72 links, Cs a different size and only 55 links, available from club spares. You should see this info in your parts list. The parts list has the year on the cover, see 1960, see also supplement for 1961/62 parts that differ, no change in the chain, so it should be as seen in the 1960 parts list. The main parts list for your bike, I guess is 1960, with the following supplement, to discover parts that differ on your 61 G2.
Isn't the G2 a single chain and the G5 Model 8 a duplex chain? And maybe breakages were the reason why they changed to duplex in the first place.
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
boyd

Post by boyd »

Mine is a model 14 so same as g2, I'd say that's why they changed it alright..I wonder if I can change it to a duplex..... Might be a lot of hassle tho
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I was going to say while not everybody will agree with me but thought I would rephrase that to while nobody will agree with me, I would closely inspect the chain to ensure it moves freely and there are no defects (look carefully for split or broken rollers), carry out the tests for stretch and wear and if okay fit a new split link.

The caveat is that the chain must be okay, I have known split links fail on a rear chain and the chain to be okay, I have also known the links immediately adjacent to the split link to seize when the split link fails.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There are companies that supply chains only, the size required and number of links required.
I guess that company will be busy at Stafford all week end.
I would not even consider changing to duplex, if that's what the 350 had. A 250 lightweight is not such a powerful beast to demand such strength in a chain. Care of the chains should be no. 1 priority. I have only done an estimated 1/4 million miles over 58 years, never managed to break a primary chain. Mind you, as a hard up teenager, I've had chains with many broken rollers, still got away without breaking one.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

boyd wrote:Any ideas where I might find one besides there? eBay was a dead end, I found a place in Austria but they were more than double the price.
Interestingly it appears that it was the connecting link that broke, or is that always going to be, literally the weakest link?
Have you tried Steve Surbey at AMC Classic Spares (01462 811770)? He's always been very helpful to me.

It is usually the split link that breaks and I generally fit a new one every time I split the chain. You do have to be careful as different makes may not co-exist very well due to differences in side plate thickness etc.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
boyd

Post by boyd »

I was on to them this morning and lucky for me, they had one in stock, for the sake if 17 quid I'll replace it and save worrying about a repaired one.
Thanks again for advice everyone.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Our usual supplier no longer stocks this chain due to lack of demand but I can report that we've found an alternative source and the chains will be in stock from Tues. I just wish our usual supplier had been more informative about the lack of supply as we could have acted quicker.
aitch58

Post by aitch58 »

Hi while not wishing to contradict any previous posts I thought I would mention when fitting the connecting link circlip remember to fit it with the closed end facing the direction of chain rotation. Also I recommend buying the best quality chain available, such as Reynolds or DID as it is a case of out of sight out of mind. (BTW didn't the 250's get modified in later life to duplex?)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've no wish to engage in confrontation but as a matter of interest and to satisfy my own curiosity I found on t'internet that Renold chain is made in India and China:

Renold plc buys Hangzhou Shanshui Chain Co. in China to establish a manufacturing base in low cost economy.

Renold plc acquires controlling interest in L.G.Balakrishnan chain manufacturing company in India, further establishing the Group's commitment to having manufacturing capabilities in low cost countries.

and according to their website Regina manufacture in Italy and conveyor and transmission chains in China.

The well known and much respected 'Chain Man' with 38yrs experience of chain and sprocket supply (and who stocks Regina and a couple of other makes, but apparently not Renolds) has this to say on his website:
I focus on supplying high quality chains from manufacturers who have refused to reduce the quality of their chain to the D.I.N. standard. I will also advise on a high quality "price fighting" chain too if required. I hold the vast majority of the following manufacturer's ranges in stock for next day despatch via DHL. Whilst I stock IWIS, B&C Express, Regina or IRIS and Talon sprockets (in finished or blank form), I can source any chain or sprocket from any manufacturer for you (as long as I'm happy it's the right chain for the application and it's well made!)
No longer should you put up with just buying the only available chain from your local motorbike shop and thinking "that will do the job", your bike or performance car deserve the best and that doesn't mean costing an arm and a leg either. High quality chains last longer, wear the sprockets down at a slower rate and deliver smoother power.

It's an interesting website with quality and techy info on chains.......
http://www.the-chain-man.co.uk/index.html
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'