Broken Primary Chain

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
56G80S

Re: Broken Primary Chain

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid

What they do mention is worrying enough.

I've usually used Avon but when I had the TR6P I used Dunlop K70's and they were really good. When I looked at using them again many years later I was told that they were nothing like the originals and were from distance parts of the world.

Johnny B
boyd

Post by boyd »

I know what you mean ajscomboman, but it just means more expense and more time not riding the bike while I wait for parts.
Are the chains with split links that bad? It seems a big hassle to take everything apart.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It's a small fine pitch single row chain which has to handle a reasonable amount of power and transmission backlash. Personally I'd put up with the hassle of time and parts rather than have a link break or come undone and do untold damage to other components. That's the reason why they were made endless in the first place. If it were a duplex with a split link then maybe not so much of an issue (although I'd still use the endless type).
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

boyd wrote:It seems a big hassle to take everything apart.
Even bigger hassle to rebuild the drive side when the flapping broken chain destroys everything in its path.
Properly adjusted and lubricated, the endless primary chain will serve you well for years.
Sam
GrayKay

Post by GrayKay »

Hi 1608
As an owner of my 1952 16MS for 40 years, I found the easiest way to reconnect any chain, is to use circlip pliers, the pointed ends angled slightly inwards are perfect for squeezing the opening together then slipping the connecting link in from the back.
Hope this helps someone.
Cheers from Oz.
Look for the Sun through the rain... Hint - it's in Queensland DownUnder!
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Boyd,
You have received information and advice from very knowledgeable and experienced members who have given you 'best advice'.
Whether to accept that advice or not is your choice.
Go raibh maith agat !
Janet

Post by Janet »

boyd wrote: I can see one link is different but its not a split link like I've seen before....
That will probably be the link where the chain was joined by the manufacturer. Instead of holding it together with a clip, the ends are peened over like a rivet so they can't be pulled back through.
Malleon wrote:Boyd,
You have received information and advice from very knowledgeable and experienced members
And me. :rofl:
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Aye, lass, 'specially thee! Sin' tha's 'ad more tudoo wi' lightweights than t'rest on us!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Malleon wrote:Aye, lass, 'specially thee! Sin' tha's 'ad more tudoo wi' lightweights than t'rest on us!
Gosh, no, I'm not the expert here. I just test them to destruction. :oops:
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I hesitate but.....

If a split link is good enough for a rear chain, with greater force acting on it and thrashing about in the wet and grit-soaked atmosphere, why is it not good enough for a primary, living as it does a cossetted life in a nice warm and protected oilbath?

I accept that the results of a primary breakage may be worse than that of a rear, but the last broken chain I suffered was on a knackered Norton 16H combination about 35 years ago. I replaced it to my (then) satisfaction by cobbling together bits of lawnmower drive chain (working for the council mending the things at the time) and it continued in use for some time.

BTW the easiest way to fit a split link is to get the 2 ends on the clutch sprocket then insert the old split link from the front. Turn the engine till this is between the sprockets and you can use the new one to push this out from the back.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650