Head gasket problems

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Head gasket problems

Post by Ozmadman »

boyd wrote:Well, parts arrived finally, i went to install the condenser and sure enough the screw fell into the side casing..... I have gone to fish it out and have noticed that there is oil at the bottom? hoping this is meant to be there? next step was to remove the side casing as i couldn't retrieve it with the magnet and now i find that none of my allen keys fit the side cover bolts, I'm guessing they must be imperial?
Starting to drive me crazy at this stage. I'll track down some more allen keys and continue on....
Yep as Janet says, you have a leak somewhere as it should be dry in there. The Allen heads will be imperial but the original screws, which you can still get, would have been slot head ones which looks better I think on an old bike.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
boyd

Post by boyd »

Ive tried putting new points in and condenser, spark improved but bike not starting still. I'm stumped, its getting fuel, good spark and petrol. I changed the plug and checked the timing too, even tried a new coil. Ill try rebuilding the carb again and after that if it doesn't work, it will have to go to the mechanic. The weather is improving and its killing me to walk past it every day!!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

boyd wrote: spark improved but bike not starting still.
Does it do anything when you kick it over?
Is the plug getting wet with fuel? (You mentioned in an earlier post that the tank lining was delaminating). If not, put a teaspoonful down t' plug'ole, refit plug and try again.
If, you've compression (you've already had cylinder head gasket and pushrod issues), fuel and a spark (at the right time) it must do something.
You say the spark's 'improved'. A fat spark should ideally be blue, not yellow or white. Open the gap up to say, 1/8" then a 1/4" and then check if it's still sparkling.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

As Spriddler said, does it do anything at all, cough, splutter, backfire? Are you sure your valves are closing properly? When you say it's getting fuel, do you mean to the carb or into the cylinder? I've had starting problems with mine at various times since I got it and the real biggie was when I'd not had it long and discovered that the adv/ret unit wasn't in the correct position. This meant that I had everything that was needed for it to start, but not at the right time.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Janet wrote:This meant that I had everything that was needed for it to start, but not at the right time.

"I'm playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order."
boyd

Post by boyd »

Just found a little broken spring in the oil I drained from the side cover. Thinking it must be from the advance / retard? I also put a bit of petrol in the spark plug hole, kicked it and only got a backfire from the carb. I read that i need a tool to take it off... Parts are taking at least two weeks to arrive from amoc....
Would elec ignition be a good option at this stage? I think I can get one on eBay , sure to arrive faster.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

boyd wrote: I also put a bit of petrol in the spark plug hole, kicked it and only got a backfire from the carb.
That's fine. You'll only get a bang or two at most from that drop of petrol, but now you know you have a spark and compression (but p'raps not both at the right time ;) ). When you tried to start it before putting petrol in the plug 'ole did it fire/backfire at all or did nothing happen?
What does the spring look like - is it a coil spring, flat steel spring or hairpin shaped? Hooked ends? A pic would help. If it's from the A/R it could be part of the problem. Can you not find it in a Parts List?
Would elec ignition be a good option at this stage?
IMHO It would be an unnecessary and additional expense and complication - perhaps just for the sake of a spring. You've already replaced most of the ign system! Now't wrong with the original set-up once sorted.
Anyway, you don't yet know for sure whether the ignition is the source of the problem.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

boyd wrote:. I read that i need a tool to take it off... .
Take it from me.... you don't need a tool to pull off the ADV/RTD unit, just find a bolt that will screw into the inner thread of the unit and give it a tug, mine came off really easily so give it a try.
The club do a spring and circlip set 043111 £5.29
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
boyd

Post by boyd »

The spring is a bit smaller that one you'd find in a biro with a hook at one end, other end is broken off. I guess ordering the spring/circlip set is the best idea, but two weeks is a pain in the ass.....Im trying hard to get the bike ready for next week.... hopeful i know.
boyd

Post by boyd »

Sorry forgot to add, putting the drop of petrol down the plug hole is the only bang i've got out of it lately, aside from that its just as if you were kicking it with the ignition off.