389 or 376

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Colin F

Re: 389 or 376

Post by Colin F »

robcurrie wrote:
I just don't think minis are appropriate dress for motorcycle riding.

Rob C
And why not? I think they can look delightful!

I refer you to February and rest my case :beer:

:rofl: :rofl:
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

An example of summer riding gear!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mini's stop fast bikers overtaking. I noticed several modern bikers build up behind me on a hot summers day while out on the bike. When we stopped, one by one the fast boys visors were lifted to reveal smiley faces. Jan looked a bit flushed. Apparently she had just managed to sit on her mini, but the first bump I went over, the skirt broke free and shot up round her waist.
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

dansofield550 wrote:Image

An example of summer riding gear!
Thats so last year, try February 2014 :D

Calendars are still available, both bikes only and Girls and bikes, get your orders in quick before they all go!
Follow link on Main club front page.
Janet

Post by Janet »

robcurrie wrote:
Janet wrote:
robcurrie wrote:I can't picture Janet in a mini-skirt :|
Oh? Is it because mini-skirts are not suitable for someone of my advanced years or is it because you think I wouldn't wear one whatever my age? Please be brave and answer truthfully. It will be less painful in the long run.
Janet, I think I must take some time and not rush out with an answer :oops: I was, however referring to riding gear, and I've seen a photo of you in the Jampot in your riding gear.
I may be wrong but as far as I know there has only ever been one photograph of me in the Jampot ( back in 2010) and I was wearing a blue and cream strapless frock with a sash belt.
I just don't think minis are appropriate dress for motorcycle riding.

Rob C
They are far safer than long skirts which a gel needs to tuck up into her knickers before attempting to mount her motorcycle, thus preventing the risk of catching excess fabric into the wheels. I have ridden down a field in such fashion, although not often.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Has this become a motor cycle ladies fashion topic. I do not think Janet is the age to remember a dress fashions circa 1956.
At the coffee bars, the girls would hitch rides to other bars with the lads. There was the pencil slim skirt, this was figure hugging almost to the ankles, with a small slit at the back so the girl was able to take very short steps. That was OK, as the girls had to hitch up the skirt to stocking top level, to get on the bike. Then came the hula hoop skirt, no way to tuck that in ya knickers.
They had a hoop sewn in the hem of the skirt. The girl had to sit on the skirt, the hoop held the skirt up in the air almost above your head. Then came the struggle for the girl to try and bend the hoop so she could hang on. You had to take it steady, or leave the hula hoop skirted girls behind. Which we often did, so that fashion craze was short lived by the coffee bar girls. Up until then few girls wore trousers or slacks. So slacks became the in thing. Thankfully, for the lusty lads, by the early 60's the mini skirt arrived.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Rob said," the hoop held the skirt up in the air almost above your head."
Make a jolly good air brake!!!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

And the riders learned that rear view mirrors were not just for decoration, as fitted in multiple on Vespas and Lambrettas !
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

More so with bikes Malcolm, you needed to keep check the girls had their feet firmly on the footrests.