Original or trials ?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
lil welshy

Original or trials ?

Post by lil welshy »

Hi I bought myself a lovely 1961 AJS model 14csr, when i bought as a trials bike (as in the image) but unsure whether to leave like this or go back to original trim......... opinions please ?

I've bought a set of original mudguards, front wheel and exhaust can, so going back to original I only really need the side panels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogwheel

Re: Original or trials ?

Post by dogwheel »

That looks nice. If it runs ok, why not enjoy it like it is and maybe quietly gather the missing parts for some time in the future, or if you ever decide to sell it to someone who is bothered about "originality"?
You probably have plenty of green lanes down there in God's second best county!
Robin.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There was a model 14CS, although your bike does look like it was built arround a mod. 14.
I agree with dogwheel, its too good to change it. enjoy.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Helo Cerilyn, croeso i'r clwb, the summer is on its way (I hope) so just enjoy the bike and decide later what to do, it's a good looking lightweight but I don't think it is a csr, wrong forks plus few other things, but don't let that stop you enjoying it.

Colin (Swansea)
only dead fish go with the flow
Janet

Post by Janet »

If it looks like a trials bike but rides like a road bike, leave it as it is until you need to change anything. ( Although I'd be getting rid of that exhaust pretty soon as it looks dangerous to me, wot wiv me 'aving short leggies ). Enjoy it whatever you decide.
lil welshy

Post by lil welshy »

He's my first classic (I'm 18) and I'm still learning all about them...... Boyfriends fault for having so many( He's a BSA fanatic)...........
Having teething problems with him at the moment not happy :( sold with a "condenser problem" but we've changed this and still having the same problem, cleaned the carb and points and put a new plug in ......... no idea what it is :(
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Cerilyn,
As mentioned in my PM, cbranni is a mine of info. on these bikes, and will be a useful source of help (if you ask him nicely!)
Best regards.
Janet

Post by Janet »

lil welshy wrote: Boyfriends fault for having so many( He's a BSA fanatic)...........
No good will come of that. Trust me, I also have the misfortune to be the trainer of a BSA fanatic.
Having teething problems with him at the moment not happy :(
The bike or the boyfriend?
sold with a "condenser problem" but we've changed this and still having the same problem, cleaned the carb and points and put a new plug in ......... no idea what it is :(
What are the symptoms?
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Janet,
I'm wondering if you have any Pankhurst blood in your ancestry? You certainly have trained Glyn very well!
Best regards.
lil welshy

Post by lil welshy »

Janet wrote:
lil welshy wrote: Boyfriends fault for having so many( He's a BSA fanatic)...........
No good will come of that. Trust me, I also have the misfortune to be the trainer of a BSA fanatic.
sold with a "condenser problem" but we've changed this and still having the same problem, cleaned the carb and points and put a new plug in ......... no idea what it is :(
What are the symptoms?
Janet wrote:
What are the symptoms?

It runs like it has a dirty carb ( not enough fuel getting through) but I have cleaned the carb at least 4 times since owning him. He also doesn't like revving high he goes flat when he should hae power and wants to cut out. And he's lost all his power, he does 40 maximum :(. Quite upset, he's only been for one ride since I've had him