Reserve Petrol Tap: 1950 Model 18

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
blythmags

Reserve Petrol Tap: 1950 Model 18

Post by blythmags »

Hi all

I have just found a hairline crack in my reserve brass petrol tap ( hence the increase in leaking !).

I have looked at "Fecked" and our site, but I'm not 100% sure as to what size I should be buying ( I just dont understand the description / diameters etc ! :oops: )

The bore of the end that goes into the petrol tank is smaller than the bore of the male to male connector which goes into the bottom of the slider body for attachment to the hosetail.

I've looked at the new taps and they suggest either 1/4 or 1/8, but as i say, the bore size of both ends of my original tap are different ?

Can anyone please advise what I should be looking for and perhaps even suggest a part number / where to buy ?

Thanks in anticipation of your help
Best wishes
John
ajscomboman

Re: Reserve Petrol Tap: 1950 Model 18

Post by ajscomboman »

1/8 th BSP is the usual size for earlier tanks and 1/4 for the later ones. I'd suggest that your tank will be 1/8th BSP where it screws into the base of the tank and 1/4 where the pipe connects onto the bottom of the tap.
blythmags

Post by blythmags »

ajscomboman wrote:1/8 th BSP is the usual size for earlier tanks and 1/4 for the later ones. I'd suggest that your tank will be 1/8th BSP where it screws into the base of the tank and 1/4 where the pipe connects onto the bottom of the tap.
Many thanks Rob
Best wishes
John
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I had to buy a couple of the smaller ones for the tank Malleon has lent me, ohmygawd! I had to have oxygen administered when I was given the bill, from memory I believe they were around £30 each! kind regards
blythmags

Post by blythmags »

GOLDSTAR wrote:I had to buy a couple of the smaller ones for the tank Malleon has lent me, ohmygawd! I had to have oxygen administered when I was given the bill, from memory I believe they were around £30 each! kind regards
Yeah....my search has also indicated prices from £27 to £32 :(
Best wishes
John
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Try part no. 017050T at £18 + vat (£16.20 + vat if you're in the spares discount scheme).
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've probably got the "wrong" ones fitted on mine; currently the reserve is a kind of "L" shape which is a nuisance as there's no way of adjusting the direction of the tail the hose fits onto.

The main is a Ewarts with a banjo on the bottom of the tap which means it's easy to make the adjustment to suit the hose connection. I'd guess the Ewarts is more expensive, but when I run out of the odds and sods in the used spares box, it's what I'll buy more expensive or not.

Something to think about?

Johnny B
blythmags

Post by blythmags »

56G80S wrote:I've probably got the "wrong" ones fitted on mine; currently the reserve is a kind of "L" shape which is a nuisance as there's no way of adjusting the direction of the tail the hose fits onto.

The main is a Ewarts with a banjo on the bottom of the tap which means it's easy to make the adjustment to suit the hose connection. I'd guess the Ewarts is more expensive, but when I run out of the odds and sods in the used spares box, it's what I'll buy more expensive or not.

Something to think about?

Johnny B
Good point mate !
Best wishes
John
Matchless_Mayhem

Post by Matchless_Mayhem »

ajscomboman wrote:1/8 th BSP is the usual size for earlier tanks and 1/4 for the later ones. I'd suggest that your tank will be 1/8th BSP where it screws into the base of the tank and 1/4 where the pipe connects onto the bottom of the tap.
This is the config on my '51 G9.
Who, me!?