Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
4591yelrah1

Re: part no's

Post by 4591yelrah1 »

cheers
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

well ! I looked at my 58/G2 as that was first in line, there are also washers envolved. I did not have the same nut both sides.
On the left I found the nut to be approx 3/8 wide. This side looks important that the distance between brake and swinging arm is critical.
You should see the brake anchor more like a tab on the plate goes in a slot on the swinging arm. The does need to fully engage, if the brake plate lock nut & washer is too wide it wont. I did not have the same nut on the r/h side where there seemed to be a shouldered nut. half the width round, half with the nut castelations and approx 7/16". ( 10 mm & 15 mm approx.) So what ever you use on the left, do check that brake anchor is in good condition and ends up a good fit. I have seen such an arragement beveled and poping out causing a lot of damage, I believe a brother in laws Tiger Cub back in the 1960's it needed some welding and filling to get it back in shape.
4591yelrah1

Post by 4591yelrah1 »

cheers that helps
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:You should see the brake anchor more like a tab on the plate goes in a slot on the swinging arm.
Shouldn't this be a tab on the swinging arm and a slot in the rear brake plate?

What you mentioned about the fit was an issue with my model 8 (A clonk every time I put on the back brake) I needed to get the slot in the brake plate built up with weld and then do a lot of filing to make it fit the tab on the swinging arm. Had I ignored the clonk then I imagine the wear would have eventually caused the whole brake plate to revolve causing a real mess!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Paul,
I have not got a memory good enough to remember which way round the tab & slot were, by the time I got back out the shed to my computer. What you mentioned about your bike happened to my brother in laws Tiger cub back in the 60's. I even have a simular arrangement on the front brake of my 1928 AJS 500. A bolted brake anchor much more secure