Warning lights

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
corbal

Re: Warning lights

Post by corbal »

Recently acquired a 1960 Model 8 which seems to have 1959 teledraulic forks for a 14 and the headlamp (which is chrome) has the two little teardrop shaped lenses but there isn't any little bulb holders. The thick plottens!!!

Alan
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

The 14/G2 were fitted with the horrible :? Francis-Barnett forks - Model 8/G5 always had the decent 1 1/8th Teledraulics, as did the 250 CSR.

There's only one bulb holder, and the light produced allows you to read the speedo and ammeter if you are lucky or for sure if you have fitted a high-brightness LED as I have. I won't be fitting fairy lights to my bikes ;)

Chrome headlight is an aftermarket fit - I may have a spare headlight shell for you to replace this nastiness...

Cheers,

Al
corbal wrote:Recently acquired a 1960 Model 8 which seems to have 1959 teledraulic forks for a 14 and the headlamp (which is chrome) has the two little teardrop shaped lenses but there isn't any little bulb holders. The thick plottens!!!

Alan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SO, to clarify.. are we saying then that these "fairy lights" as AL so aptly describes them, are in fact a "standard fit" on some lightweights? despite there being no reference to them in the parts list and workshop manual!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

I'll have a look at Bacon's book and see if there are any clues there - plus all the old photos I have of Lwts.

I REALLY won't be bothering with them... :rofl:

Al

If there are holes in my headlight shells, then yhey must have been put there on purpose - BUT that assumes my headlight
Ozmadman wrote:SO, to clarify.. are we saying then that these "fairy lights" as AL so aptly describes them, are in fact a "standard fit" on some lightweights? despite there being no reference to them in the parts list and workshop manual!!

Paul
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

there's one with these lights on ebay now. look carefully at picture 3, you can just see them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-250-spare ... 257ba1ca2c
cheers, bb.
Richard P

Post by Richard P »

Hi all, I am new on the forum so I hope you don't mind me mentioning something I have recently found out.

I had wondered about these holes myself in the shell on the model 14 I have just started to overhaul and had already asked the question about these to a local 'expert'. He stated that the holes held little red translucent plastic 'plugs'. There are no bulb holders inside the shell for these, only the speedo bulb holder, so I assume that they are basically there to tell you when the lights are on, particularly in the early evening - my memory of 6V electrics is that you couldn't tell that the lights were on unless it was 1am on a moonless night in the middle of the countryside in a power cut!
(Well, maybe they wern't quite that bad!)

I think these may be one of those 'difficult to obtain' items, so does anyone know where I could get them? It obviously doesn't affect the functioning of the bike but the holes will have to be blocked off to prevent water getting in the shell and I would sooner use the correct item than rubber grommets or insulating tape.

I seem to be having problems with my own electrics - lights working ok, loom in good condition but no spark! I'll do some digging around on the forum first but I may well be back asking for info and advice!

Cheers

Richard
Grad

Post by Grad »

What did I stir up????????

I did email the Fanny Barnett o/c, as I know they were fitted to some F/B's, they still haven't replied after a week, not like this crew on here!!!!! I don't suppose anyone has got a sample bullet that I could copy, at all?

Thanks for all the replies, help and advice, I didn't weld the holes up after I saw the ones in the pics, and on the ones in fleabay!

Steve
Janet

Post by Janet »

Grad wrote:I did email the Fanny Barnett o/c, as I know they were fitted to some F/B's, they still haven't replied after a week, not like this crew on here!!!!!
Yes indeed! We'll poke our nose into any thread, whether or no we know anything about the subject. In my case, it's usuallly 'not'. But I'm learning. Sadly, it would be easier to learn by theory instead of having to go down the practical route.
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Finally got round to taking the lamp off and can confirm the teardrop lights are just there for decoration. My 14 has the original loom and there are no fittings for warning lights.
I guess they wouln't be difficult to fabricate if you wanted to be different and have, say, an ignition light or something. Thinking aloud I reckon a rear-light failure warning would be useful. Got to be possible somehow.
Peter W
Grad

Post by Grad »

After all the discussion about the little red bullets, I'm happy that my G2 should have them, and that they are Matchless bling! Now can anyone give me some idea of the general size please, length, width at the widest, and height, if possible? I've got to sculpt a pair out of cherry red perspex. I'm guessing they are about 5/8" long, 1/4" wide and 1/8" high looking at the various pics.

Cheers and thanks again,

Steve