Warning lights

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Grad

Warning lights

Post by Grad »

Hi, it's me again.

On my '59 lightweight headlight shell there are 2 small square holes just north of the speedo hole. From memory I think there should be 2 small bullet shaped lenses there for warning lights (emg ign and main beam?). Anyone got a photo please? Also, I can't see any small bulbholders in my heap of bits, any clues? I suppose I could always fit a couple of LED's under the lenses. First I reckon I've got to make the lenses!!!!!

Any help seriously appreciated, as I'm into the finishing details before I start chucking paint at it!

Many thanks,

Steve
Janet

Re: Warning lights

Post by Janet »

I don't know the '59 version, but on my '64 CSR there are holes for the light and ignition switches.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have seen a couple of lightweights with these red idiot lights fitted, this one has indicators fitted so maybe for them.
Colin

only dead fish go with the flow
mike.dowling

Post by mike.dowling »

Hi
My Francis Barnett Cruiser has the same Red Lenses fitted but nowhere in any wiring diagram does it show any bulb holders or fitting for them, the only thing is they glow when the lights are on from the speedo light bulb.
Regards
Mike d
Grad

Post by Grad »

Thanks to all so far,

The pic., Colin, is exactly how I remember my '59 14 from the '60's. I reckon the L/H light was to warn when you are on Emg. Ign. and the R/H was to warn you when you were on main beam. How else would you know, you certainly couldn't tell from the headlight output!!!!!

Cheers for now,

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Don't think they are standard fitment, can't see anything in the parts book and they are not on my model 8 1960. I have two headlamp shells and these don't have holes in either.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Never had them on any of my lightweights or those I have now which range from 1958 to 1966.
Grad

Post by Grad »

Hello all,

I think I've seen a shell recently on fleabay, which had the holes in, but they appear to have had a bit of placcy glued on the inside of the shell. I can't believe the red bullets were just bling. Maybe, during original manufacture, they ran out of h/light shells and fitted some from another AMC product! The mystery deepens. The headlight and forks certainly appear to be original to the bike.

At present, I can only come to 1 of 2 conclusions - the bike is either very rare and worth a fortune, or it's a factory built bitsa put, together on a Saturday morning!

Cheers for now,

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

My guess is that the shell is off something else as it's a pretty standard part fitted in various forms to most old bikes in that era !! I have seen them on other bikes in the past but can't remember what. I would get rid of them, they look naff anyway in my opinion. If a rider needs a little red lamp to tell him his lights are on or whether he is on ignition/emergency then the shouldn't be in control of such a powerful machine, ha ha

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

HERE HERE PAUL !
If you spend your time watching Little red lights .
You will soon see "BRIGHT BLUE " Lights of an Ambulance .
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your bike,s and Scooter,s.
Allways LOOK AHEAD when MOVING !!!!!!!!!!!!
Insured with Peter ames
r w webb